"Pictures Show Just How Miserable Woodstock Really Was"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oh definately not ,
    I just realized we were talking apples and oranges , and i might have given you the wrong impression, I wanted to clearify that, but this how we learn the stuff we dont know. and 50 years ago is a long time! I saw alot of videos on the behind the scenes of the details but, had not studied the sound system details , so I'm with you on the Hanley thing , and thank you!

jimash likes this.
  2. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

This week in 1969 I had just moved into my freshman dorm at the University of Houston and turned 19 years old.
    I had heard of WS but I was focused on saving $$ and getting ready for college. I was taking some intro courses at the local college (Del Mar College, Corpus Christi).
    There was only one TV in the commons room of the dorm. None of the luxury in the dorm like you hear about now. Cinderblock construction, no frills. But I had some astounding times. Cruzing in my new NY friend's brand new Chrysler New Yorker that was about forty feet long and had a big-arse motor.
    Woodstock was soon forgotten. I had moved to the city (Houston) and there was soooo much stuff going on. Talk about having my young eyes opened!

Mark

william tele and StrangerNY like this.
  3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Last big festival I went to, right off the bat, some dude puked hard right in front of us. The stuff stank, was all over our shoes/legs, but we didn't want to lose our spot up close so it was hours & hours of puke stench.

But the guy who puked all over was still having the time of his life!

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That really sounds like fun!

5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Wrong concert, Bubba.

jimash likes this.
  6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I know, I was responding to this poster’s reference to the Altamont concert.

7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I don't understand the historical revisionism . It didn't "morph" into a big deal, after being forgotten or anything like that.
    It was a huge deal before it even started. That's why so many people showed up. That's why it was recorded.
    There was a double (triple) album and then another one two feature films, and a raft of lesser films, hit songs about the event.
    It was instant. And it is still a fantastic document of the finest music, and a very interesting large slice of a budding youth culture.

This is the show that Joni Mitchell Skipped Woodstock for.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  8. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's

Here's my Woodstock story. It was Saturday morning 2am. Three of us were waiting for our ride to come and we were going to drive all night to get to Woodstock around 6 or 7 AM. To stay awake we dropped some acid and while we were waiting for our ride, my friend said he remembered that he had hid some beer in some bushes near his house and went to get it which he did. The three of us were waiting and starting to get off on the acid when the cops drove up and asked us what we were doing. We said we were waiting for our ride. The officer said that a neighbor had called and complained about some prowlers (my friend looking for the beer). After smelling beer on us and being under age we all got arrested and taken to the drunk tank. By this time we were all peaking on the acid and trying not to laugh at all the other drunken distorted people that were in there with us. When the ride came to the corner to pick us up and we weren't there he went back home thinking we had chickened out. Being not quite 16 yet, my parents had to get me and I got grounded for a month. That's my Woodstock story.

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Glastonbury usually has a nice chance of bad weather too

GLAStonfloody.jpg

10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Interesting to read so many people crapping about an event they did not attend and an experience they did not have. Sorry you didn't like something you didn't do. Get a time machine and go back and scream at everyone that an event they created and found really powerful displeases you. "Get off my lawn." Yeesh.

Andy B, GibbyTwin, stinkey and 3 others like this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

“All those hippies wandering about thinking the world was going to be different from that day. As a cynical English arsehole I walked through it all and felt like spitting on the lot of them and shaking them and trying to make them realise that nothing had changed and nothing was going to change. Not only that, what they thought was an alternative society was basically a field full of six-foot-deep mud and laced with LSD. If that was the world they wanted to live in, then f**k the lot of them.”

-Pete Townshend

Mike Eskimo, Flakey and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I went to a private high school in London in the 70s and many of my instructors had been there. I actually went camping there in the summer of 83 for a couple of nights.

13. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Has Woodstock 1994 been mentionned yet ? ;)

14. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Yes. Post#14.

15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I need to start to read at least the first page before posting ! I looked at the pictures though. Party first, safety maybe.

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it rained hard. My old band played at the 20th.

Bruxist likes this.
  17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

He's written some iconic songs and has a place in history.
    Sometimes famous people should stick to what they know best, in Peter's case songwriting.
    I wonder when he made that statement, recently? If so, then it makes sense. He appears to be bitter and angry in his old age.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic artists at Woodstock but that photo of folds on a dumpster, surrounded by trash FAR away from the music just shows what a mess it was- and the weather.I was 13 at the time and really enjoyed the movie in a clean, dry theatre. Really liked Richie Havens, what a great opener and Ten Years After.

19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

One thing that Mr. Townshend does know about is Woodstock, having been there and all.

His stance on that event has been the same since he walked off the stage 50 years ago. In fact, it helped inspire one of his greatest songs, recorded two years later-

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    Then I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again

jimash likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Having lived before Woodstock, and long after, the only thing I think they changed was their underwear.

24 track and slauson slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.