1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pictures of a model 5e3 build to work from?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JazzFan314, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JazzFan314

JazzFan314 TDPRI Member

Hello All,

I have recently started my third amp build, a 5e3 Deluxe from a Boothill kit. I am not worried about anything in particular, however I am having some trouble finding great pictures to use as a guide. I can follow the schematic and layout just fine, but having good pictures to work from was very useful in my previous builds. I like to see the neatness, the little finesses, etc. of experienced builders and use these as a goal to shoot for in my own builds.

Therefore, I was curious if those of you here could share pictures of the nicest 5e3 builds that you've seen. Essentially, pictures of what you'd consider a model 5e3 build. I know there are personal preference choices made in everyone's build, but I'm just curious what you guys think. Pictures showing all parts of the chassis would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    ginomolinari and Boxla like this.
  2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

quite a few builds in this section. you may want to peruse it as there are excellent pictures enclosed.

play music!

3. JazzFan314

JazzFan314 TDPRI Member

I've perused for quite some time (longer than I had to for previous builds), and found many posts of people doing their first build. It's a bit cumbersome to parse through all of these. I was hoping to have people more experienced than myself guide me to pictures of what they felt were exceptional builds: on this forum, or elsewhere.

Paul-T and zephyrR1 like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I'm totally with you on this: I can work much better from pictures than from anything else. I am not saying that my 5e3 build was a model build. However, I have built one. You can look at my build thread, if you wish. And please feel free to ask any questions or request more pics. Again, I'm not some sort of expert, but I have built a great-sounding 5e3.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-adventures-in-5e3.796187/

ginomolinari and muscmp like this.
  5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

This is a Mission kit I rebuilt for someone about a year and a half ago. It's not as tidy as one I'd build from the ground up, but it's what I could do without completely stripping and rebuilding from scratch. IMG_20180511_175205.jpeg 20170118_104417.jpeg

ginomolinari, Boxla and muscmp like this.
  6. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

I guess that rules my builds out with the word "Neat" LOL! With my shaking hands I have to settle for what I can accomplish.

muscmp likes this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You're right about both items: Build pics are great, and *neat* 5e3 build pics are not all that common. Yeah, this is partly cuz so many are first builds, and then, let's admit it, the wire-to-space ratio is pretty high on Tweeds.

I really like that example from @clintj -- definitely a good builder.

Another sano build I remember from when I was collecting 5e3 build pics was this one from @D'tar , with nice pics like this one:

D'tar 5e3 build.jpg

Here's a pic I collected back then of a Mike Clark build:

Mike Clark 5e3 Special 1.jpg

Here's a LilDawg D'lux in a 'lunchbox' format -- the extra space in this Hammond chassis actually helps you see what's going on, though you're gonna have to cram yours in a smaller space so not all of Jim's tricks will work for you. OTOH, some (like flying caps well above their resistors) are even better when space is scarce.

Lil Dawg D_lux.jpg

And for pure authenticity, none of us build much better than Lupe did in Fullerton. Our friend @keithb7 (too-modest curator of the North American Fender Museum) contributed some awesome pics that show how it was really done.

Keithb7_5E3_Deluxe_Circuit_Board.jpg Keithb7_5E3_Deluxe_Input_Jacks.jpg Keithb7_5E3_Deluxe_Tube_Sockets1.jpg Keithb7_5E3_Deluxe_Tube_Sockets2.jpg

Warning: each of these amps may have mods and wiring tricks you won't be doing or can't see -- for instance, the Lil Dawg heater-elevating resistors are very tidily hidden, and Jim uses 3 separate shielded cables on early low-amplitude runs. D'tar has a wonderful switch manifold and related wiring. And Lupe? She didn't need no stinking two-strand heaters... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  8. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

That's a good point on mods. My pics have a mute switch discreetly wired in, using the ground/standby switch.

9. King Fan

Heh, here's what's really hard to copy: Astrons -- and those 'domino' bright caps...

OTOH you can still get Brown Devils.

10. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

Type in Richter 5e3 in Google, then open the images. Sarah's builds were some of the neatest and finest out there.

King Fan likes this.
  11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I think if you start the build and ask for certain pics you will get plenty to chose from

12. King Fan

Good idea on Richter. If I'm right about Dave's kits, you'll like neat builds with plastic-coated wire, which is a little harder to train than cloth.

IIRC @SacDAve has some very tidy builds himself... :)

13. King Fan

Dang, now y'all have me looking at 5e3 pics again. Couple more things pop up:

Read Merlin on the myth of the standby switch -- I don't know if Boothill calls for one, but omitting it can simplify a crowded, noisy corner of the 5e3...

And even if this is your third build, I always say build stock before you mod. It's fine to pre-drill an extra eyelet, or a mini-switch hole, for later. And it's excellent to make sure you're using best modern practice AC wiring / AC grounding / circuit grounding across the board -- many folks here like Rob's layout for the 5e3.

14. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

My 5e3 build is not "model" by any stretch, but I know the 5e3 chassis can be pretty tight when ya start throwin' the soldering iron around on the tube sockets, and I'm a believer in doing much of the work on a true-to-scale template, then transporting to the chassis.

[​IMG]Untitled

ginomolinari, Boxla, tubegeek and 5 others like this.
  15. JazzFan314

JazzFan314 TDPRI Member

Much appreciated, everyone! There are some really useful tips, suggested threads, and pictures here.

I'd be happy if anyone wanted to share anything further, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their help so far.

I will try to add the pictures of my upcoming build when I can. Progress is very slow with a newborn in the household. :)

16. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

And some of the sweetest looking cabinets I’ve ever seen, the cab alone is a work of art.
    SacDave has some serious skills in several fields.

King Fan likes this.
  18. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a Cox Ultimate 5e3, like these: Cox Ultimate 5e3 Images. I think my old images were on Photobucket...

When I popped the back cover on mine, I was gobsmacked with how neat and tidy it is. His wiring was literally 3d.

During the process on the two amps I've built, a 5f8-a (restoration) and a 5f6-a (re-wire of my Reissue), I looked at many vintage pics because I was trying to copy that as much as possible. They knew what they were doing back in the day as both of my amps sound awesome and are very quiet.

19. King Fan

Good call on the Cox builds for sure. And on copying the vintage layouts (where appropriate) both for looks and function -- that's really my main reason for looking at build pics.

But you do come across eye-popping neatness and cool innovations. I love some of the tidy tricks Ceriatone do in Malaysia, like in this 5e3 build -- again with plastic-coated wire FWIW...

ceriatone 5e3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Jake Nelson and Axis29 like this.
  20. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

What an excellent thread, some nice examples here. I am thankful for this thread! Much thanks to all!
    Steve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.