1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Picton's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Picton, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Great job all the way around man! You should be proud. It looks and sounds wonderful! For what its worth I liked your playing. Congrats on a sweet build.

2. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Couch shots

Now that the Guitartancaster can take its rightful place among its Tele brethren, here it is...

[​IMG]

That's three different scale lengths, five different pickups, and a whole mess of different sounds. And they all get along, even though they share a room.;)

This next pic is a little bittersweet, as it's the only time these four will be together. I'm taking the Dano clone into work tomorrow; it'll live there now. I'm completely staggered to think that li'l ole me built each of these, and it's all because I joined TDPRI. So, thanks everybody. They're in chronological order from the archtop on up.

[​IMG]

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's definitely a family to be proud of ;)

4. fendahbendah57

fendahbendah57 Tele-Meister

Beautiful AND it sounds great!

5. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

really like the finish and great job!

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice! I think it looks even better with you playing it. Great job.

7. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

Great job!
    How are you liking the P-90?
    If I ever finish the builds I have going now I want to try one.
    Love the paint.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

You STARTED with an archtop?:eek: Where's the :impressed whistle: smiley?

9. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Well... like many of us, I didn't really imagine I'd keep going once I built the first one. I wanted an archtop, and building things is always easier to justify to SWMBO than buying them.

FWIW, it's a guitar I don't often play. I put the wrong frets on it, and then I busted a solder connection while stuffing the electronics through the S-holes. One of these days I keep meaning to get it put back together correctly, but in the meantime I just enjoy playing the teles more and more.

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

A gorgeous group! :)

11. newtherapist

newtherapist Tele-Meister

Good stuff Picton, I like your attitude to building. I also started with just one lap steel after I smashed my wrist up so that I couldn't play my normal Fender Tele. Then, for reasons unknown, I just kept building and am now working on the fifteenth build.

12. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Not sure if I've got to keep updating this to avoid disqualification... so...

The Guitartancaster has developed slight string buzz on the A and D, 'round about frets 7-10.

And that's my update. Carry on!

Meanwhile, here's what I'm working on (again) after its construction was rudely interrupted for the Challenge; should be another 2-3 weeks to my very first classical build. Back should go on this afternoon...

[​IMG]

13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I think if you're done you're done. The classical looks nice but don't put too many pics in here or the mods might think you're showing another build. Loving the plaid
    :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Cool! :cool:

15. henderson is go

henderson is go Tele-Holic

Really like the plaid tele.

Please post some pics of the classical (perhaps in another thread if the mods don't want more than the challenge tele build in one thread). Did you use solid or kerfed lining? I'm starting to use laminated solid lining and the benefits are amazing.

16. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

My first uke had solid lining, but I get bored with too much bending. So, to kerfed! I did try to save a buck by manufacturing my own kerfing; having done so, I now think that StewMac actually puts kerfing at about the right price point. And it's so much easier that I just can't say no. What benefits do you notice with the solid linings?

I'll put up a build thread if people are interested, but it's not even remotely tele-related. I've been taking pics of the whole process, since it's a birthday present for my brother and I like to include a little storybook with each instrument I make for others. I'll probably put up a quick one once everything's done.

Thanks, nosmo; I wasn't planning on putting up more classical stuff, but I figure one can't hurt. You're right to be worried.

17. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Actually, I think the mods are pretty cool as long as you keep to the 'spirit' of the game. I just thought I'd mention it. I bet you can talk about it all you want ;)

18. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

The classical will get disqualified anyway - it isn't telecaster shaped :lol:
    And while I am here - great finished result!

19. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Nice work Picton - I really admire your workmanship and especially your hand tool skills and knowledge. Hopefully one day after a few builds I'll have enough guts to tackle an acoustic too - it's looking very cool.

20. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Thanks! You can perhaps see, in the pic above, how the sides don't quite match up in height, right at the neck... there's about 3/16" difference there. I was just downstairs leveling the whole thing with a chisel. I can't imagine another way of doing it so quickly, or so smoothly; took about three minutes. It literally took longer to figure out and draw the tapering layout line all the way round the body. Some folks would have sanded the whole thing; I can't think of a worse way to spend a morning.

We've all got our little crusades; Herb's thread has a lot of good-natured ribbing about peoples' opposition to snakeheads and/or Caribbean bursts, but in reality it's all about exposing ourselves to new ideas and ways of doing things. If I can get just one person to think "chisel" or "handplane" where they used to think "sanding block," then it's a good day. :D

Hand tools are elegant, simple, and totally efficient; they just take some practice, is all.

Dazzaman, I'm loving your build. It's totally different than what I'd make, but that's the fun of the Challenge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.