1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Picton's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Picton, Mar 13, 2012.

1. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

There are quite a few times when hand tools are absolutely the way to go. I'm just too lazy so I usually spend three times as long trying to figure out how to do it with power tools:rolleyes:

2. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Guitartancaster Official Completion Post

Here's the official portrait, plus a re-tread of the vid for the compilation thread.

[​IMG]

Good job, everyone!

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

This is great, nice style nice options ... top job ... :!:

4. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Why thanks! It's been so long since I finished it that it almost seems as if it's been in my stable forever. I've never bonded so quickly with any of my other builds.

I keep having to come up with excuses not to play it.

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I agree with Allroy, very nice style. Looks great Picton, I still can't believe how perfect you got the stripes, that's amazing.

6. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

So I'm sitting here relaxing in my living room, the Champcaster is hanging in it's stand and I am reflecting, with great satisfaction, on the build. My 1st. and I log back on to look at whats been going on after the contest and I see that Picton used a hand plane to radius his fretboard...:eek:
    Gosh! I have a LOOOONG way to go. Dude, You did a SMOKIN' job on your guitar! My wife is a McClerren and we've wanted to use her family's tartan for something but our simple minds were thinking about tablecloths or curtains...silly us!:p

7. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Thanks, muzikp; FWIW, your build is my wife's favorite. She said teh same thing I did when she saw it: "Classy."

dannyp, I'm liking your build as well; I didn't have as much time to get over there during the Challenge, but I stopped by every once in a while. I developed a love of handplanes during junior high shop class, and if anything that love has grown; I've currently got seven of them in regular use. I just find that they can do so much in the shop; I'm always surprised they don't get more love. I do my final radiusing with sandpaper, but the handplane reduces most of that work immensely. It's just a matter of drawing arches at both ends, and making a few passes with the plane; it's a lot quicker and more fun than grinding it all down with sandpaper.

The gospel's spreading, though: Brian "Henderson is Go" used the same technique on his build, and he's more talented than I am. So I'm not in bad company.

8. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great idea! Would I ever be game enough to try it? Probably not. :rolleyes:

9. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

I can see that I am gonna HAVE to get a hand plane. I've never used one but I like that if used properly the that the wood is much smoother(don't know if that's the right word) than with sandpaper. maybe it's that the pores aren't as packed with sawdust

10. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Opinions vary; most high-end furniture makers seem to use the word "clarity" when describing the surface left by a plane. In other words, both a planed and a sanded surface are plenty smooth; the difference, as you pointed out, is microscopic on the level of the pores.

I like them because they do the job much faster and less tediously. There's nothing like three hours of hand-sanding to make me feel like I'm wasting time I'd rather be spending elsewhere.

As always, I'll take the opportunity to recommend Taunton Books' The Handplane Book, by Garrett Hack. I'm not affiliated; it's a wealth of practical information, fascinating and complicated planes, and beautiful photos of old tools. I've pretty much got it on permanent hold at my library; I've taken it out so often that the librarians tease me about it when I come in.

11. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Picton, very nice guitar. I have been thinking I would like to do one with a Bigsby. When I do, I will be researching your thread for how to do it. Looks great sounds great!

12. Midnighttoil

Midnighttoil Tele-Meister

Sorry I'm so late to tell you how much I like your builds. You're one of the few people I know who uses hand tools. My latest addition is a #5 Union built a few years before Stanley swallowed them. It has a tool steel iron that's almost 1/8 of an inch thick! I'm definitely going to have to try using a plane and some judicious marking to cut a fretboard radius. Which brings me to my question: you will use a table saw, but avoid the router; why?

I have to admit I thought the Tartan was going to be really awful, but I think it came out but incredibly good - especially with the silvery metal of the Bigsby. The P-90 sounds great; it's one of my favorite pickups in any position! I've been working on my 1st build, complete with all the beginner mistakes like letting the plates slip when gluing and having to flatten the out-of-registration result. Something you don't want to do with the #7 plane in central Texas in the summer.

And I agree with you about The Handplane Book. I have the Kindle version, and I find myself reading it kind of like an adolescent with "inappropriate reading material" inside his math text. From across the room at looks like I'm almost working!

Fantastic build; and I loved that you did it with hand tools! By the way, what do you teach?

13. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Echoing doctorockets post - I'm pretty sure I've mentioned how much I liked your build before - but just in case I didn't it was a cool build and I really liked the watching the process and the great result at the end.

I also share your fondness of hand tools although I'm not quite as proficient with them as you.

14. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Thanks, guys!

BR0, you'll have no trouble with the Bigsby; the hardest part was trying to print online instructions I could read. The font they use is weird.

Doctorrockit: I teach history and psychology, both intro and AP. It's a satisfying job, and every day's different. My dislike of routers is based on how loud they are, and on the fact that I've yet to get good results with one used by hand. I don't blame the routers; I blame their user. I guess I'd just rather not put in the time to get proficient with handheld routers, especially when I like my handtools so much better. I'm pretty experienced with chisels, rasps, etc; so far, I'm a lot happier with them. I prefer making shavings to making sawdust.

I do use a table-mounted router for truss rods, but for very little else.

Spread the hand-tool gospel!

15. Midnighttoil

Midnighttoil Tele-Meister

I, too, prefer the shavings. And yes, routers are loud, and work correctly and predictably only when mounted to a table! That so, I will spread the gospel, although I have quite a way to go to reach mere competency.

Many of my family are teachers; I'm married to a teacher. You do good work! I live in Texas where I can't teach, at least easily or well (my degree was in anthropology - say that three times south of the Mason-Dixon and see what happens!).

Hey! Wait a minute. Your initials stand for Mason-Dixon! Or as Robin Williams said: that old Manson-Nixon line!:cool:

16. henderson is go

henderson is go Tele-Holic

I don't know if I'm more talented than you, but thanks for the shout out :arrow: I love handplanes, if you can avoid cutting your fingers while sharpening or using them, they are among the most enjoyable tools you can use.

[​IMG]

17. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

This is true; I've nicked a finger or two, but then don't router bits and planer blades get dull as well? Fine Woodworking had a LONG article this month about a jig you could build to sharpen your jointer knives; it seemed like a much more fiddly operation than I use on my chisels.

Brian, that classical I'm building is nearly there; I've got about five hours left on it, probably. It's WAY off the center line (like, by over a centimeter), but it's my first try at a flattop guitar, and that's its only real issue. Hopefully, I'll get around to posting about it soon-ish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.