1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Picton's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Picton, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Why not? I was gathering parts for a build anyway.

Between this, the uke I'm finishing, the classical I'm building, work, and a busy little 2-year-old, who needs sleep anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

With all that going on, this should be an interested build. I can see it now... it starts out looking normal, but by the end when sleep deprivation has really kicked in, it's a Picasso :D

Good luck, man!

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

That's the spirit :lol:

Good to see ya' in, luck! :D

Dave

4. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

As long as you dont get mixed up by sleep depravation and make a 2-YO fretboard or something.:D

Good luck!

5. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I was thinking a tele with a classical FB, or a classical with a mistaken pickup. Both with drool varnish.

Should be fun and relaxing, actually. Those classicals require lots of concentration; hopefully, I can let loose a tad with the challenge build.

Thanks for the good wishes!

6. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

Looking forward to it.

7. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Here goes!

It's official.
    [​IMG]

There won't be anything particularly innovative about this; I'm not reinventing any wheels, going with the usual IKEA-shelf body and a neck sliced from a big chunk of moderately striped maple.

What might be unusual (I'm doing a good job convincing myself) is the paint scheme... I don't want to give it away, but I'll hint at my tentative plan by pointing out that I'm of Scottish heritage. If I go with that paint plan (option A), I'll go with simple abalone dot inlays. If I go with simpler paint (option B), then I'll dress it up a bit with my usual wood block inlays, in mahogany.

The goal is a hybrid for playing my two favourite styles, surf (on the bridge) and blues (in the neck). The middle position might sound... odd.

Specs:
    - IKEA body, double-bound with white ABS.
    - One-piece figured neck, 21 SS frets.
    - Hot Rod truss rod, adjustable at the body end.
    - Homemade bone (or aluminum) nut.
    - Wilkinson split-shaft tuners.
    - Ashtray bridge, cut on the treble side. Three brass saddles.
    - Bigsby B50.
    - Standard switching and control-plate configuration. White pearloid PG.
    - Pickups: GFS ProTube lipstick in the bridge. I love Danelectro pups, and GFS make a tele-sized version. GFS P-90 in the neck.

Wish me luck... SWMBO is skeptical about Paint Option A, but the nagging thought just won't leave my noggin.

8. Matt Haskins

Matt Haskins Tele-Meister

Sounds like an interesting build to me. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

9. RogerC

Interesting paint plan? Scottish heritage? hmmm. I wonder...;)

If it's what I'm thinkin', then I'll be watching this one like a hawk. I'm from Scottish descendants myself

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ok :neutral: So, will you be spraying a tartan pattern or using fabric?

Luke.

11. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I'm cordially opposed to fabric-covered guitars, especially when it's expensive, heavy wool fabric we're talking about.

But with some paint, say, and the right kind of masking tape... I'm enjoying this idea more and more.

12. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Construction begins!

Since I work routerlessly, I lack the sort of high-accuracy templates that others have. Also, I've only ever made one tele, so I laid out all my pickup and control rout locations by mocking up the top.
    [​IMG]
    Some judicious work with a couple different kinds of saws...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...yielded this. I'll be stacking three pieces of IKEA "Broder" shelving (15mm each), so I made my "routs" by running a saw along the layout lines of the top layer. I made the pup holes one layer deep, the control cavity two, and connected the cavity to the pup locations in the middle layer (these cuts will become wiring tunnels later). The neck pocket, quite rough at this stage, is going to need some 2mm or so removed from the middle layer, so I'll chisel that later.

I'm also making some room for hardwood inserts to give the strap button screws something to bite into; I know others will think that's unnecessary, but I don't fancy hanging my guitar from screws sunk into IKEA end grain. Besides, it worked on my last "stacked" build, so there's scant reason not to.

Finally, I've glued the middle half to the back on my nifty new go-bar deck, which I just put together because I'll need it for my classical build. Should work...
    [​IMG]

Can you tell I was getting impatient to start working? No sooner was my kid in bed than I was down in the basement making wood chips.

That's me up to date. Tomorrow I'll clean out all the "routs" with my chisels, glue the top to the rest, and do some more work on my classical.

13. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

This is going fast; I have to get my top glued into the deck before the Bruins start losing in a couple minutes.

Smoothing the pickup "routs" prior to gluing on the top...
    [​IMG]

... and profiling the edges with my DIY drum sander. I haven't got a drum large enough to span the entire edge at three layers, so I'm roughly doing the first two and making the top a wee bit oversize.
    [​IMG]

Should work.

14. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

The Braveheart award goes to you already , who needs a router when you have a claymore and a stone built workshop.

Have fun dear fellow. Mac

15. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Oh, I am; SWMBO is out this evening, the daughter is asleep and, as predicted, the Bruins are losing, so I'm getting all my loud stuff out of the way. Tablesawing a neck blank, routing the truss rod channel... all my least favorite bits.

16. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

I want a drill holder like yours.. Grandad's old drill press is OK in making holes, but not so with a sanding drum - It can not take the side pressure well. Going to improvise a thing like that soon!

That's the best use for IKEA stuff I've ever seen, by the way!

17. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Thanks; I'm following your build with interest. You Northern Europeans got all of Southern New England's snow this year; there's nothing like building a tele to keep warm. I rigged that sander up from yard-sale finds totalling about five bucks; it does not work well, but it does what I need it to. I stabilized the bottom of the drum by lodging it in a hole in the work surface.

And the IKEA idea is far from original; it's cheap, though, so I can't complain.

Tonight I got the body cleaned up...

[​IMG]

Since I don't rout my edges and I lack the photographic skill to make edge-shaping with files and sandpaper look interesting, I'll just give you a couple of establishing shots to capture the mood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've now spread some urethane on the body to get an idea of how much more I need to do to make it smooth enough to rout binding channels. I'm not used to working with softwoods, and I find it's really difficult to see enough contrast to decide where to smooth next. My neck is good ol' maple, though, so I'll be doing some proper woodworking soon.

18. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Done for the night...

Ever have one of those days where you start bandsawing a long piece of stock, get sick of it in the middle of the cut, and just tell yourself you'll come back and finish it later? No? Well, when your bandsaw is as substandard as mine is, it happens a lot.

As I said above, I'm just happy to be working hardwood again...
    [​IMG]

Woodcraft sold me about 10' worth of 10/4 flamed maple for under 30 dollars, so I found a quartersawn edge with some nice figure and laid out a neck blank. A short trip to the router table gave me a truss rod channel... pay attention, 'cause this is the only routing you'll see on this thread.

[​IMG]

Back to my chisels to make some room for the truss rod nut. I'm using StewMac's two-way rod, adjusted from the body end.

[​IMG]

Then I got to do a little of what I enjoy most: handplaning. About 1/8" off the top exposed some nice figure for the fingerboard. You'll also see I had to add some headstock wings.

[​IMG]

I measured down an inch, leaving me about 1/4" to remove. I thought I'd bandsaw it...
    [​IMG]
    ... which is where I got tired of being downstairs, alas. Back up here to put the kiddo to bed, and now I'm debating about heading back down. Either way, that's me up to date.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  19. RogerC

Beautiful maple.

And at least you've got a band saw. The closest I've got is my scroll saw, which is not close really :lol:. I peruse CL everyday looking at band saws and planers. One of these days...

20. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I got the bandsaw on clearance at Sears many years ago. It's just a 9" Delta, more of a hobby saw really, but I wasn't sure what I would use it for when I bought it. It gets a lot of use since I took up guitar building. As you're searching CL, I really would suggest holding out for something in the 14" range.

I love flamed maple; it's going to wind up being a very "busy" guitar visually, what with the abalone dots, pearloid PG, and [probable] weird paint job, but what the heck? Sometimes, you've just got to live a little. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.