Pickups too Bassy

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tle4, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I took a similar tack when I installed a 4-way switch. Instead of the typical setting I added a .022uf cap in series with the middle position. No boomy cleans or flabby overdrive through my small and single ended amps anymore.

2. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Yes and yes .

NewKid likes this.
  3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Assuredly and undoubtedly. :twisted:

bender66 and Lef T like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What guage strings on both the AS and 52 HR? Same brand ?
    Was it a new guitar or previously owned ?
    Are the E and A bass heavy on both pickups ?
    Does the 52HR have the same pickups as the AS ?

5. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

What guage strings on both the AS and 52 HR? Same brand ? Dadarrio 10

Was it a new guitar or previously owned ? The AS was used and got it in a trade
    Are the E and A bass heavy on both pickups ? I didnt notice the neck. I dont play the same type or rythm playing when in the neck. For the Bridge I want a sound like Brooks and Dunn Play something Country rythym overdrive tone

Does the 52HR have the same pickups as the AS? The AS has a Fender CS Broadcaster Bridge The HR has a custom wound vintage style Fender Bridge PU. I think they wind it a little hotter to match the mini humbucker output

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When you say "bassy" do you mean: "too soft and warm and round" sounding? or do you mean "too much low end frequencies in the mix" but not necessarily warm/soft?
    If it's a tone bypass and you have it "locked" it's likely something to do with the guitar itself, not the electronics.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I'm doing the same thing with a .022uf cap to cut lows on a bassy neck pickup. Works well. To cut lows in all positions, the cap could be placed along the lead from the switch to the volume control. Depth of the cut is determined by the value of the cap. Lower value = deeper cut.

Also, +1 to the suggestion of a Tube Screamer for OD tones with a low cut. A Boss SD-1 would be another good choice with the same low cut as the TS. A Zen Drive could also be a good call. It's Voice control sets the amount of low cut.

BCblues55 likes this.
  8. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

So I finally got around to doing a setup and adjusted pickup and string height back to Fender specs and made adjustments from there. I also put a little more relief in the neck. It was almost straight. Just a touch of relief. One thing I noticed was the neck pickup was really high. I am thinking this is one of the major contributers and messing with my bridge tone. I am now finding that I can roll off the tone knob some when on the bridge pickup. The Tone knob on this guitar I believe bypasses the tone pot all together when all the way up

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.