Pickups too Bassy

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tle4, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I have an American Standard Tele with bound neck. It has the Fender CS Broadcaste and Twisted tele pickups in it. I like how they sound pretty much except the low E and A are very bass heavy. I notice it mosty when I am trying to get OD tones. I also have a 52 Hot Rod Tele and I really like how the bridge Pickup sounds with OD. Is there anything I can do to tighten the bottom end when I add OD? Different value pots? Pickup Height? tone cap change?

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Drop bass side of pickups, raise treble side.

3. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I did drop the bass side a bit and it didnt seem to take care of it.

4. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lighter gauge E and A strings may help.

2HBStrat likes this.
  5. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Drop it more?

NewKid and jrblue like this.
  6. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I think the bass side is pretty low. Its not that it is louder than other strings. it just seems bass heavy on the low strings when I use drive or and overdriven amp. I guess Ill try lowering the whole pickup down lower and see if it tightens up the bass some more

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Is the action set up with the bass strings too low relative to the treble? That and pickup heights are the main things to work on.

If you don’t hear it on clean sounds and do on overdriven sounds it’s not the guitar necessarily.

What amp? What pedals if any? This is why a lot of us like pedals like tube screamers that roll off bass.

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

What amp ??? How are your controls set ???

9. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I am using a Kemper with many different profiles (Mostly Fender model amps) but they all sound fine with my 52 Hot Rod Tele. The bass is tight with that guitar and much bassier with the American Standard with the CS Broadcaster pickup.

10. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I've got the same setup and have no problems with it.
    I've played it through various amps and it's all good.
    Sorry I can't help with an answer,except maybe setting up profiles for that guitar where you have an eq attenuation on the offending frequencies.

NewKid likes this.
  11. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Yea I can do that but I was wanting to maybe get it closer to the same sound my 52 Hot Rod gets. Though i believe that is a hotter bridge pickup and they use 350k pots. I am wondering if I replace the volume pot with a 350k pot if it will tighten it up some more to get them closer to the same sound

12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

500k pots might help and then you can raise bass side a smidge.

13. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Hard to believe it's just the guitar, because that kind of problem is not common with those pickups. There are many things it could be, and many remedies. I find that pot and cap values can be more significant in base tone than pickups (unless those are an extreme model). Do you have treble bleed? I'd start with that and maybe changing pot values before I did any worrying. I assume your strings aren't dead.

schmee likes this.
  14. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I got the guitar used in a trade. The strings are good. I guess maybe I need to at least take the control plate off and take a look to see if anything was changed from stock.... Also this guitar has the tone pot that I think bypasses the pot when it is opened all the way. It locks in when it is all the way open. I would think it woudld be very bright when it is opened all the way

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  15. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

I’d check out the nut, if the string is getting choked out there and needs widening. check action height, I personally go for 4-5/64 at the 12th fret on the bass E string.
    hows the relief at 8th-9th fret area?
    And as others have said the pickup height itself.
    Measure it and your 52s pickups and compare.

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Does the pickup suit you without the OD on?

Maybe try something like a Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer. Kick it on and roll off some bass frequencies when your OD is on. There are probably others too. Maybe less expensive for an experiment.

The downside is you'll have two pedals to contend with when you're in OD mode.

Just a suggestion. Hope you can adjust things without another piece of gear.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I started doing a setup on it but didnt vheck the string height or relief yet. They seemed fine and the tele plays nice with no fret buzz. Action felt good. Guess I will give it a proper setup when I can find the time. The pickup height is about the same as my Hot Rod.

18. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Without the OD on or an overdriven amp sound it is less noticable playing chords . Overdriven the low strings are fine for single note stuff but but kinda boomy and not tight and defined for power chord stuff on the low strings

My Kemper has EQ's I can add before or after the preamp or I can EQ the whole output section after the amp that goes out to the speaker. I could also find amp profiles that work better with this guitar but it just seems there are much more lows with this guitar vs my Hot Rod. I guess if I have to I can just add an eq to the profiles I use and turn it on when I use this tele

19. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Do you mean turn the bass down? I love how you put it. Is this how you talk normally? I love it!

Fretting out likes this.
  20. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I’ve used a .047 capacitor in series on the pickup lead, and that cuts muddiness a lot. Perhaps it would also tame your E and A strings.

Rowdyman and Mexitele Blues like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.