Pickups to contrast with Baja 50s Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by theverymost, Sep 20, 2020.

1. theverymost

theverymost NEW MEMBER!

I picked up one of those Squier Paranormal Offset Teles, mainly as a mod platform. I already have a Baja 50s Tele and I was looking for a set of single-coil tele pickups (no humbuckers or cabronita or any other tele variations) that would contrast nicely with what I already have. I don't mind spending up to $225. The pickups I was considering were Yosemite, V-Mods, Vintage 64 pickups, and the Seymour Duncan Antiquities. I was also thinking about investigating Porter pickups because they are local to me in Boise, Idaho. Any recommendations for a flavor that departs from my Baja tele would be greatly appreciated!

2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The SD Ants are great pickups. Have them in 2 of my teles. There are so many good choices out there nowadays.

Good luck in your search.

BlueCajun and theverymost like this.
  3. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

You could try Guitar Fetish Lipstick pups for Teles...I'm gonna give them a whirl, it's a cheap enough experiment...so far I have liked all the pups that I have tried from them

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Baja and those pickups sound very warm and syrupy. I know the perfect alternative to them (twisted tele). Fender Pure Vintage 64s. They have a great baseline tele sound. I love them even more after playing the Baja for a while. Not crazy expensive either.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Check out Dimarzio Twang King pickups.

6. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

+1 for Twang Kings

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The PV 64's are one of my favorite sets from Fender based on video demos...though I don't own any.

I had a set of Porters (Custom bridge and 9t neck). They were great, but the neck was a little dark and the bridge was a little hi-fi sounding. Haven't tried their other sets.

I'm really liking Bootstrap Palo Duros right now. Also had good luck with Cavaliers (Nashville, Lion King, Fat Lion, Fat Lion King) that I've owned. Would like to try the Cavalier 51/52.

Sunday Handwound has some great stuff. Check out their A4s. I have an A4 custom bridge and a 23t neck (A2 on EAD strings/A3 on GBE strings). Fantastic pickups.

I had a great set of OC Duff pickups called the Guardsman...they are A3. I'm also very intrigued by their Buckaroo set.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

BTW: @roknfnrol has demos of a TON of pickups on his channel...and very good ones (his YT handle is the same as here). I have demos of most of the ones I mention above (not all) on my own channel. DM me for my link if interested.

RYAN1987M and roknfnrol like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.