1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickups not aligned - is it critical?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hAtul, Apr 18, 2021.

1. hAtul

hAtul NEW MEMBER!

Hello,
    I am trying to experiment with an old guitar and decided I want to change it's pickups.
    The thing is, the pickups are more of a Tele-pickups (dimarzio notorious) than a strat-like pickups which were previously installed - which means that they are a little bit smaller in width.
    The mini-humbuckers tiny screws don't alight with the strings too.
    I was wondering if there is some kind of setup professional that can tell me if it's wrong and what I can maybe do to resolve this issue.
    I got some pictures attached. I hope they are good enough to demonstrate what I wrote.

Attached Files:

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Keep calm , play your guitar
    It means nothing !

3. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

No, not critical. The pickups create a magnetic field which is far larger than the poles on the pickups. They have to pick up vibrations from a moving string. If that wasn’t so bending a string would leave it with zero output.

4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fuggeddabouddit!

Pickup height makes MUCH more difference - and it is easy to fiddle with!

5. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Doesn't matter. Just another myth made up to make people buy more stuff.

6. hAtul

hAtul NEW MEMBER!

Thank you guys for your super fast replies!

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ideally they line up, and for example Gibson HBs have a narrower spacing that Fender guitars bridge spacing, so we can buy "F spaced" pickups for bridge position in Fender guitars.

In practice it seldom has any effect on sound though.
    I just don't like parts that look crooked, but I'm not looking at them when playing music.
    If you don't like the look of crooked parts, I notice that cheap import bodies for example are more likely to not line up well.
    And hobby assembly often results in misaligned parts, especially if you drill and screw down hardware before stringing it up.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nah, it's fine.
    Even stock pickups may align at the neck position or the bridge position, but often not both... because the pickups aren't made with different spaced poles, and the string spacing tapers! Although there are some that are made special spaced!

9. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Strings centered on Neck are more important, than perfectly over the Poles. A few times I have gotten them perfect on a Tele, and they were Epiphone Probuckers? 50 & 52mm I think. Some HB's have equal Pole Spacing, so Poles will look off the Strings some on one, or the other.

Andy B and Boreas like this.
  10. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

What everyone else said.
    And welcome aboard!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree that it doesn't mean any problem. It may "look" a little funny, if you're OCD about things, but other than that, don't worry.
    Now, how about full pictures of that guitar? ;)

12. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I am a bit OCD about things lining up, but it's not going to affect your sound~

13. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Sometime, hookup a loose pickup to a guitar cable and listen as you good the pickup over the guitar strings, you can hear how little it matters whether the strings are on or off center with the strings.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It’s not precise. The poles are shaped that way to maintain a field that is sort of spherical so the string doesn’t need to be centered, just close enough. Even the orientation of the pickup isn’t relevant in many cases, as in right to left if you changed it. If it were critical everyone would use rail pickups. Don’t panic.

In my opinion some brands and some price points could do a better job with placement but that is for aesthetic reasons. It may not be look right. But it’s fine.

15. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I saw a $1899 Fender Cabronita that a Pickup, or two that didn't line up with the Bridge? I have to be more perfect than that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.