Pickups low, polepieces high

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Donelson, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I've messed around with this for decades. How high to set the polepieces on humbuckers?

Lately due to lots of experimenting with a couple of axes I'm now convinced that the best "guitaristic" sound is achieved with the polepieces raised up well above the chrome cover, or bobbin if you've ditched the cover, and the PU screwed down lower than "normal".

This is not what was intended by S. Lover et al I suppose, as all humbucker guitars come stock with those polepieces flush with the cover.

Just wondering what others thought.

2. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

Good question. I've only used the adjustments for balancing the string volumes.

I always wondered, though, what was responsible for the change in sound with
    pickup height (aside from the volume change). If it was mainly due to the change
    in magnet distance, or the change in coil distance? Probably both, I would guess.

What kind of difference are you seeing?

3. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

First you gotta explain this...:D

4. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

hey FEZZ could you give us a little 101 course on pole set-up ????? both neck and bridge...lloollll

5. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

:lol:

General knowledge and application is to follow the radius, but I like 'em flush with the cover. Do what sounds good to your ears...

6. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Here's what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

The humbuckers are lowered well out of the way, almost flush with the rings, to allow normal "guitaristic" playing techniques with fingers, fingerpicks, flatpick, or thumbpick over a wider span, and the poles raised to make up for some of the volume loss.

The resulting sound is that of humbuckers but with some of the fatness trimmed out, a bit more sproingy treble, and weaker output. Does not sound like single coils. Still pretty decent output; a lot more than my Strat Plus with Lace Sensors has, with the PUs right under the strings.

I used high-tech material to fashion covers for the poles--the tips of two party balloons.

Not sure how gig-worthy this setup is, but it sounds & feels great for now.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Your pic was not available., but, some mags are closer to the housing, where
    screw height will not matter as much. Look at some of the strat p/u staggered..
    as one of the viewers noted, follow the curvature of your fret.

With a lil59, each screw is independent, and you can fine tune height to string.

With buckers, I generally try to get close to strings, and then back down (too close on bass string/bass gets farty), then back down...to taste..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.