1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickups for Mahogany Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Airslashfury, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Airslashfury

Airslashfury NEW MEMBER!

Hi All,

I have two tele bodies made out of Mahogany that I need to get some pickups for. Ideally i know this is not the type of wood you would use if you plan to stay twangy but there is really no other type of Tonewood readily available here in PR.

Attached Files:

2. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mahogany for solid guitar bodies. "Twang" has so many different interpretations, forget the wood, just tell us what kind of tone you are interested in. Also your budget, how much do you want to spend?

Telecasters84, Mark617 and sjtalon like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Lindy Fralin. Stock Tele set would do very well. They maintain the twang.

skunqesh and Mark617 like this.
  4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Avatar guitar is mahogany body (and a bit heavy, but I like it)
    Broadcaster lead and VanZandt strat middle and neck.
    I've never swapped, so I don't know what would be "better".

Note also - there are some here who fervently believe the choice of tone wood matters and there are others who have posted cardboard and concrete body guitar builds, noting the pickups, amplifiers and speakers (and fingers) are more important elements in your twang content.

Peace - Deeve
    YMMV

5. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

good ones

6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

I have a mahogany tele, but I dont expect it to sound like a traditional tele. So, it has humbuckers and sounds a lot like a LP. I use SD Alnico Pro IIs. Also some Dimarzio Evolutions for higher gain stuff.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's an ELECTIC guitar, pick which one you like the best....................looks or weight whatever.

Oh Boy, page one and counting.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Rio Grande makes some great pickups at a reasonable price

9. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Buy a cheap used set of Fender American Standard pickups and install them.

If you love it, great. If not, listen for the things you feel are lacking in the sound. Then buy a set of new pickups that claim to give you the tonal enhancements you're looking for.

It's a cheap investment that will get you what you're looking for a lot faster than guessing what will sound good just because the guitar is made from a specific wood.

Attempting to get the best sound from a completely unknown, new guitar is ludicrous. You need to start somewhere with a known entity, like, Fender American Standard pickups. Then you can figure out exactly what you want from there.

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Mahogany is one of my favorite body woods. It isn't unreasonably heavy, sustains well, offers a warm tone and is easy to work with.
    I put together a mahogany body with some GFS Neovin pickups because I wanted to hear them and I wanted zero hum. I got a 90% reduction in hum and a guitar that is light weight, plays well and sounds good.
    I'm going to back a previous suggestion and recommend using a known entity: stock Fender or, for that matter, some unknown pickups from the parts drawer so you can gauge what you have.
    Happy Hunting.

11. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

used to have a mahogany tele with a Tex-Mex set and I loved it

Shouldn’t have let that one get away

12. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Great looking project! Plenty of great suggestions here already, but let me add another set for your consideration.

DiMarzio Twang King set. I use them in one of my telecasters and they deliver the “Twang” and are able to “Rock” too. They were my 2012 MIM when I became the 2nd owner. The guy included the original pickup, which I intended to re-install, but the Twang Kings sounded so sweet I decided keep them.

Good luck and make sure you keep us posted on your build!

zippofan and BB like this.
  13. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My favorite tele is a partscaster with spanish cedar body, quite similar to honduran mahogany. It has 2 x P90 pickups. Classic tele twang was not my concern with this guitar, so perhaps our tastes differ. Still, I can recommend P90s for tele tone.

zippofan likes this.
  14. Airslashfury

Airslashfury NEW MEMBER!

Hi All, sorry for the late reply. I reached out to the various brands for recommendation. The most appealing seem to be Lollar Vintage T or 52 Tele. The folks from Fralin also pointed out that using Steel saddles would also help significantly. Certainly something i overlooked since I purchased a couple of Wilkinson Compensated Brass saddle(don't know how decent of a bridge it is, seems a slight step above the stock American Standard type).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.