Pickups For Keith Richards Style Guitar

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by pompeii0, Jan 5, 2012.

1. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

I am putting together a partscaster Tele in open G (with 5 strings) and am wondering what pickups to use (single in bridge and hum in neck). I was thinking of maybe the SD Broadcaster in the bridge and either a Seth Lover or Antiquity in the neck. Are there any other suggestions without spending a ton of money? Also what pot values would you suggest for best performance?

Thanks!

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Get one of the forum winders to do you 5 pole p/ups so all the strings sound right.I've noticed that wide or narrow p/ups on a narrow or wide guitar cause tone and volume changes when the magnets don't alline.

3. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

There won't be any alignment issues as I will be using a regular 6 string neck with a standard 6 slot nut and a bridge with standard spacings, just removing the 6th string. I may end up using the guitar as a standard tuned 6 string in the future, but want to get my Keef on at the moment.

4. sricabla

sricabla TDPRI Member

I have a Micawaber replica and I have the Zhangbucker Super Paul Bunyon in the bridge position and a Pagey 2 in the neck. I've had many compliments on the pick up selection. Here's the link:
    http://www.zhangbucker.com/index.html

5. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

The Broadcaster and Seth Lover sound like a great combo - I don't think Keith ever worried about making sure all the magnets lined up, and Micawber sounds just fine...

6. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

7. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

The Bare Knuckle pickup with shipping from the UK would cost as much as both Duncan pickups combined. It may be a great pickup but a little more money then I want to put into a partscaster at this time. Thank you for the suggestion and I may look at it in the future.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like you got it now...
    Find a gritty amp, put a few smoke burns on it..and yep..your there.

(never saw him with bucker neck tele), but, I am sure he has
    one.

9. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

Keith actually has at least 5 Teles with buckers in the neck:
    Micawber ('53 Tele)
    Malcolm ('54 Tele)
    Sonny ('66 Tele)
    '74 Black Tele Custom
    White Tele Custom

10. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

"Brown Sugars" Tele pups... :neutral: Keith recorded that particular song with a Gibson SG...
    As far as a Keith-y Tele, my Duncan Antiquity bridge pup in my AVRI 52 gets dangerously close to that ballpark with a good Fender tube amp and the right playing technique... and I don't think Keith uses his HB much. I think a lot of that is myth and fantasy. A good early 50s type bridge pickup, some good brass saddles and a good tube amp will get you there, if you know how to play those licks the right way. Just my two cents. YMMV

11. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

A lot of his tone was from his amps. I think he used a slide pickup wound very hot like 10 to 11K.
    I am working on a couple now in that range and will have them out next month.

12. sean001

sean001 Tele-Meister

The question to ask would be, which period of Keith do you desire. I do believe it is correct that his guitar tech puts lap steel P/Us in his teles NOW but his Exile on Main Street recordings where probably done with whatever stock P/U was in his Tele at the time. He also used a lot of other guitars as a poster above intimated. So the tone you're chasing might not even be a Tele.

My best Keef tone to date has been with my Don Mare 0038 at 8.5K and very clean amps. I do not use the neck P/U at all. No pre-amp gain. All power tube distortion.

That said, get good at open G and playing rhythm like Keef and the tone sort of just happens. The gear is largely an afterthought.

13. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

For the bridge pickup, Fred Stuart the guy who actually rewound Keith's Tele pickups back in the day. Stuart's 'Lapwrap' is based on the pickup he wound for Keith.

14. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

I didn't know that, but you know how this marketing stuff works - come up with a good name that conjures up the association you mean to convey, specific yet generic enough to not draw a lawsuit....

My WCR Darkbursts are anything but dark-sounding, but they're modeled after the PAFs Duane had in his darkburst-finished Les Paul, so...

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess so..!.. I just never seen them., but, I havent seen a lot...lol

16. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I suggest a Rumpelstiltskin "Black Rope" Got one in my bridge and it does Keith very well.
    It would be along the lines of most overwound pups with A3 mags. No magnet stagger etc.
    Go here: http://www.rumpelstiltskinpickups.com/Tele_Pickups.html

In the sound clips section listen to the "stock" black rope. I absolutely love it.
    Playing through a DRRI or a Vox Pathfinder.

17. knuckles123

knuckles123 TDPRI Member

I built a tele with a set up much like Don Mares guitar that he used to record his sound clip for his keefers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDRSTs7mwg

I love this guitar; both the neck and bridge are full sounding.

18. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I have to agree with this. I don't have a Don Mare 0038, but playing in "G" with the tubes cooking gets me there. FWIW I have a SD '59 I never use and a SD Broadcaster in my Keef guitar. It's all about the groove

19. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

dog fart (love the name btw)

How do you like the SD Broadcaster for Keef stuff, and in general? Do you find the '59 a good match for it (even though you never use it)?

Thanks!

20. gripweed

gripweed TDPRI Member

I think you can see that there are a lot of good options for the bridge pickup. I would recommend a Duncan '59 in the neck as that will probably get you as close to Keith as you're going to get. The Pearly Gates is a little bit hotter, but also nice option. The '59 is also going to be less expensive than an Antiquity or a Seth Lover. I also agree that G tuning is going to get you a large amount of the way there. Keith also uses a tweed twin and I think that is a big part of his sound too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.