1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickups for hendrix tone

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grig15, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Grig15

Grig15 TDPRI Member

Hello friends, just bought some relic stratocaster body, it looks so cool. Waiting to arrive. Now I want to choose some good pickups. I need vintage specs, ideally hendrix era. Looking for FAT 50s SSS. Loaded and ready pickguard will cost me around 200$. But I don't know anything about strat pickups, so need your advice. Maybe there is something better than that set.

Attached Files:

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Get a set of Custom shop 69 strat pickups

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Which Hendrix era? Are You Experienced has a different sound than Band Of Gypsies, but in general any vintage wind pickups will get you there- 57/62s are a personal favorite, but the choices are endless and ultimately not that important. A germanium Fuzz Face into an early Marshall style amp played on the neck pickup is a much larger component to his live sound.

tintag27, Audiowonderland and Grig15 like this.
  4. Grig15

Grig15 TDPRI Member

I dont want to nail it, because it is impossible. But lets say Im getting most shiver from Voodoo child studio version, that fat and warm tone right after intro when riffs starting. That is something magical!!! I think you got it approximately. I will look for 57-62 now. Thanks

5. Grig15

Grig15 TDPRI Member

Will watch now, thanks!

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

The pickups on the Cp60s Strats always sound pretty vintage to me and right for that era.

Grig15 likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Basically you want 60s spec. The 69CS set, or any alnico V with 5.5-6 kohm. 250kohm pots .033 tone cap. Hendrix's Strat would have had a 3-way switch but I'd do a 5-way.

Fretting out and Grig15 like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Believe it a three way with the center pickup on a separate volume control?

Derek Kiernan and Grig15 like this.
  9. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When you get the guitar ready, tune to Eb, plug in to a tube amp, and drive it like you want it to melt. Your neighbors will love you. :rolleyes:

68Telebass, puddin, PARCO and 2 others like this.
  10. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I keep my pickups lowered, like LOW; that helps, IMO ...............

Grig15 likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get vintage style pickups, generally lower 5-6kohms.

Here are keys to focus on next:

-Reverse angled bridge pickup slot, it changes the tone
    -Low mounted pickups, nearly flush with the pickguard
    -Tip the pickups a little higher on the bass side for a little more bass. Alternate some if you do 2/4 Quack.
    -Move that volume knob back to the first tone pot hole so you can pick like he did from saddle to neck, watch this video a few times. That's where a variety of tones live. Ever heard about how a Tele is so versatile? That's because a Tele can be played from saddles to neck without bumping into anything. Hendrix used a Tele recording and a Strat performing.

PeteWaller, tintag27 and Grig15 like this.
  12. Grig15

Grig15 TDPRI Member

Awesome. Thanks!!! Great tips!!!

13. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

the fender custom shop twisted tele pup gives me jimi in my thinline ;)

Grig15 likes this.
  14. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Got my 57/62 loaded pickguard from Stratosphere a month ago for $180.

tintag27 and Grig15 like this.
  15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wrong pickups.
    You need WIMPY sounding late 60s-70s pickups .
    A set of 69s will do the trick.

Of course you will also need 010-038 strings (ABSOLUTELY essential for his tone it's impossible to get his wound string tone with any other set) a fuzz face and a Marshall Plexi 100 with a matching cabinet with Rollas.

dlxtele, Grig15 and Fretting out like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A few things make what seems really simple at first end up being harder in practice.

One thing is he had a lotta Strats!
    Both old and new Strats, not all with the same pickups.
    Many think the '69 set is good for Hendrix tones but IMO a bridge pickup under 6k is going to sound shrill to a player who doesn't have several Plexi 100 stacks plugged in.

The angle does help in terms of the shrill tone you'd get from a 5.8k bridge pickup, but you need that Hendrix guard unless you're a lefty playing a righty Strat upside down.

Another thing many of us miss when trying to get Hendrix tone is the use a a germanuim Fuzz Face for clean sounds.
    Fuzz is for dirt but the ge FF delivers a particular clean Strat tone with less bass and glassy shimmer that you will never ever get with any Strat pickups into a clean amp.

Then there are other studio clean tones he got with a Strat into a Fender Twin Reverb, but no FF.
    Even his Marshalls were far from one amp sound, because every year of his career that Marshall produced a 100w Plexi, Marshall changed the circuit in major ways, so the '66, '67, '68 and '69 100w Marshalls were all different sounding amps.
    As well as the speakers in those cabs that also changed during those years, making cabs with different sounds.

As far as the Plexi tone goes, those amps and speakers had less treble so sounded less shrill and more fat with a Strat.
    You can buy hemp cone speakers to try to get less treble but it's not a Plexi sound.
    You can buy Plexi tone MIAB pedals but they don't make that sound either.

Or looking at it another way, if you play Hendrix signature riffs into any clean amp you will get a Hendrix sound.

Getting one or another of his GEAR sounds right though may be harder, and not come with your first purchase.

If you want only one Strat and one amp to get ALL his sounds, I'd say start with a very weak neck pickup and a much hotter bridge pickup. That's not what he used but he used more than one guitar and amp for different sounds.
    A germanium FF would go along way and may be more important than an expensive set of pickups.

You might be fine with less expensive plastic bobbin Strat pickups for now, like a Tex Mex for the bridge and a standard Strat for the neck. Then figure out how you amp and preferred sounds work out with the rest of you gear, the songs you want to nail, and the FF you end up buying.

Many many many buyers spend big money on Strat pickups that add no better tone to the signal chain.
    And the amp you choose is of course a big factor.

17. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

3 way with no tone on the bridge is what I always thought

Grig15 likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Any decent set of vintage wind pickups should work just fine, but it's not about the pickups. It's the cranked Marshall stack in combination with a vintage output strat pickup, and a few choice pedals, that will get you in the range.

Rufus, rze99 and Grig15 like this.
  19. jball85

jball85 TDPRI Member

Cant go wrong with Fat 50's, especially the neck. I can get Hendrix tones all day with a Fat 50's neck pup, an Axis Fuzz, and a semi dirty plexi like base tone.

Grig15 likes this.
  20. Grig15

Grig15 TDPRI Member

I already figured out what fat 50s are wrong choice. But I didn't know about strings. I planned to put super slinky as usual. Thanks for info. Fuzz face is not a problem, I can build one. Have lot of nos nkt275 lying around. Never liked fuzzfaces, it is like fake tone benders)))) but I have no way to get marshall plexi. It is impossible in my country. So maybe some imitating pedal stacked with good tube amp will do the trick? Or no?

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.