Pickups for DIY thinline

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Splodgeness, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I tried my hand at building a thinline Tele. I came out better than I expected and I'm really happy with the way it feels and plays.

BUT.... I installed some really cheap pickups that I got in an eBay auction. They sound very thin and are microphonic beyond belief.

So, I'm in the market for some new pickups. Hoping you guys can give me some ideas/recommendations. Nothing overly expensive, say around £100 for the pair? Mostly rhythm playing with occasional lead in an indie-rock band..

Thanks

2. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

I presume that you are after regular Telecaster single coils. If so, try some Toneriders. They do three different sets (I like all of them), but my favourite pick ups are the vintage Toneriders. They are what I suggest to all of my customers. Never had anyone say that they didn't like them. Certainly in your budget.

dougstrum and Splodgeness like this.
  3. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I'm happy with the 51 nocaster is in my telecaster thinline. But pick up selection is such a personal thing

Splodgeness likes this.
  4. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

Oops, yeh should have said I'm looking for standard single coils.... Thanks for the suggestions so far

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

In addition to Tonerider, I'd also recommend Bootstrap pickups and/or Cavaliers. I have experience with all three and you really can't go wrong with any of these sets. Great pickups at equally great prices..... only exceeded by the fantastic customer service all three offer.

El Tele Lobo and Splodgeness like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.