1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickups for CV 69 Thinline?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Footsore, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I've bought a second hand Squier CV 69 Thinline mahogany body on the Bay and have ordered a MIM standard Tele neck to put on it.
    I'm thinking of getting a set of Tonerider Vintage Plus pickups for it based on the price and that is supposed to be what that model Squier originally came with and their good reviews.
    Any suggestions for other options I should consider? Mostly for country rock and blues.

2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I have a Squier Classic Vibe Thinline mahogany body with a rosewood neck (ancient owner swap) that came with a Twisted neck pup and a Nocaster '51 bridge pup. I bought it because it sounded better than my MIM '69RI mahogany body. Only the neck was less good (too oval and thin, and the tuning machines are so-so). So, it's an excellent idea to change the neck for a MIM one.

I would wait before buying a new set of pickups because you might be surprised how different the guitar will sound with a more consistant neck ! And the original pickups are good ones, quite faithful to that 'sixties sound' (bright and punchy).

That said it's always fun experimenting with pickups, and I ended up swapping the pickups for spare ones that slept in my repair drawer : a neck Duncan Five-Two and a Fender '52 RI. Those pickups were not convincing in their original place but in the Squier they make for a fatter and more versatile set that I like better than the Twisted/Nocaster !

Footsore likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

What’s your budget?

You can get CV (Tonerider) pickups pretty cheap. I kept my CV Thinline stock, just couldn’t bring myself to change the pickups because I liked the tone of them. Wasn’t really lacking anything, except the magical elusive “nuance” that boutique pickups bring.

Bootstrap get a lot of good publicity here. I was scared off because of a bunch of bad YouTube demos, but I’m sure they do sound good in the hands of someone capable (like most things, really).

I really like the Fender American Vintage set that is stock in an AVRI Thinline. That was the best sounding Tele I’ve ever owned and heard. You can find those second hand sometimes, not sure how the Pure Vintage set compare.

Footsore likes this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I modded my CV Thinline because it was my first real Telecaster, not a copy, and I could :D
    At the time Cavalier was just being found by posters here, so I contacted Rob. I decided on a Fat Lion in the bridge, and an uncovered Lioness in the neck. Really sweet pickups, and Cavalier have many more type to choose from. They're still favorites year later, after playing a bunch of different pickups.

Footsore likes this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I put a set of Wild micro-coils in my cv thin line and they are not coming out.

Footsore likes this.
  6. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I haven't got the original pickup just a body. Have just today ordered a Pure Vintage 64 set. Hope they sound as good in the Thinline as they do in a solid body.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Good on you ! The Pure Vintage 64 are excellent. You should not regret your choice as they are the "period correct" set for a '69 thinline, bright and versatile !

Footsore likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.