Pickups for an archtop?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AJBaker, Jan 29, 2020.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Schmee, those are some cool covers.
    They could come in handy.

bender66 and schmee like this.
  2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

GFS mean 90 bridge and the other one for the neck.

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Here a 75 model with the GFS pickups. I used a boost pedal with it.

naneek, MickM and blowtorch like this.
  4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That is nice!

Both pickups look the same, are those the mean 90s?
    What amp?

5. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"Better" is a thoroughly subjective adjective. And yes, I happen to think so. But...I lean toward jazz as my primary guitar influence. So naturally I'm bias.

The archtop has a flavor unlike any other and I happen to think that single coils do not do them justice.

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Interesting, thanks for that!

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

P90s were in archtops before HBs.

RomanS likes this.
  8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Mean 90 bridge and dream 90 neck and a Blues JR.

naneek likes this.
  9. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DiMarzio Blues Buckers. I recently put a pair in a buddy's guitar who was looking for a P-90 type sound. It has become his #1 at this point.

naneek likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Therefore ... Charlie Christians?

artdecade likes this.
  11. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Well, the Ibanez AF75 is my main guitar , I got to chime in - it's by far the most comfortable neck I ever played, I only sometimes wish for a wider florentine cutaway instead of a venetioan cutaway....
    I had an Artec P90 put in neck position, the stock Ibanez humbucker is still in use in bridge postition, as I actually quite like the sound for overdrive sounds.
    I also had the wiring changed to one single volume and one single tone poti, my main cleantone is middle position with both pickups and I found the Gibson separated volume knobs unpractical.
    I also had the toggle switch and the volume poti switched positions for better access to the volume.

But then, I use this guitar for everything from Memphis Minnie, Blind Boy Fuller, Andrew Sisters, Carlos Jobim, Elvis to Chic, Patti Labelle, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Garbage and Rage Against The Machine.
    The idea of "PAFs and flatwound 12s, because it's a jazzbox" sounds....let's say....odd to me. Sometimes guitarplayers are the most dogmatic musicians around.

artdecade likes this.
  12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Charlies are still a bit different. I am just surprised by all the people saying that PAFs are for Jazz and P90s are for rockabilly. Lots of jazz was made on Charlies and P90s as well.

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Can you explain the p90 thing on HB route a bit more? this looks like a good solution!!

14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

It's my fave that gold foil. I have it in 2 guitars now. It's just the dreamiest neck pickup ever made in a Strat. Probably would go neck in a Tele pretty well too I'd guess. If you do 2 of them, they pair up in a really .... it's a kind of unworldly harmonic space ... just terrific.

PS: It's easy these days to go P90's in a Humbucker rout. Lot's of winders worked out that a drop in P-90 in the SAME DIMENSIONS as a PAF would be a great product line. Some installations I have seen with original sized P-90's in the distant past would make your fingers curl. It wasn't always easy in some cases for non-mod/luthier types to tackle.

So the HB sized P90 happened. There's loads of them on the market now. I have to say as I sign off, some of them are really really nice. There are some I don't care for at all (same with anything so no big deal) and I honestly favour original dimensions of magnets and plates and pole pieces (some weird PuP's I like have NO pole pieces but they are ancient designs) ... if a P90 is a different length and width and height from the original design it cannot replicate the character of the electro-magnetic field and how the strings and eddy currents they create within that field (this will be converted to current sent to your amp ... signal :) ) behave.

You can get close. You can maybe not even hear the difference, but some can. A lot of the difference is how the strings behave in that electro-magnetic field. Snap, softness, harmonics ... the feel responding dynamically as you alter your fingers interaction with the strings. The size/area of your PuP's magnetic field will alter this dynamic as well as the signal the vibrating strings create going to your amp.

anyway ... hope that helps

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  15. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Maybe I should try the whole duncan humbucker set I have: a 59 neck (7.2k) and JB bridge (14k).
    Don't know how well this will suit it, and wiring is a pain. At least if I put in both I can be sure they are in phase.

16. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Well, the JB is pretty high output, so that might cause some feedback in an archtop. Phase isn't hard to test before you wire, though. Tape will hold the wires enough to test that.

17. RobbieAG

RobbieAG TDPRI Member

I find it easiest to take the entire harness out to work on it. Then when it's done (and tested), use wire or string or something to snake the jack/pots/switches where they need to go.

18. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I don't see how you can go wrong with this. If you play an archtop, you already know how to handle feedback (assuming you get that from the hotter bridge).

19. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Put in one of the humbuckers, and it is indeed out of phase with the surf 90. Fortunately the Duncans have 4 conductors, so easy fix.
    The short legs on the humbucker were also problematic.
    For now, the PAF that was originally in the neck position on a LP is in the bridge position on the Ibanez. They balance fairly well.
    Another thing I'm noticing is that a humbucker definitely looks 'right' on this guitar.

naneek likes this.
  20. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

15803993113032074092253303241239.jpg

naneek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.