Pickups for a Rock Tele

NICQ

Tele-Meister
DiMarzio Chopper ?

preview.jpg

SheldonP

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
My AVRI '52 is my "rock" Tele. I've had a DiMarzio Super Distortion T (DP318) in the bridge position for several years and love it. There's a Seymour Duncan STR-3 Quarter pounder in the neck position. While not a humbucker, I've never gotten hum or buzz from it, either. They pair well with my 4010 JCM 800 and my X100b.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
The lead guitar player in Khruangbin uses Choppers in his Strat and plays totally clean, so that's one piece of data that
tells me they can sound really good clean as well as dirty.

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
Quarter pounder will definitely be heavy enough but doesn't match the no hum demand.

The only noiseless Tele PUs i know is ChopperT and Lil59.

i was disappointed with the lil 59 because it sounded nothing like the full sized SH-1 which is a rather scooped voiced PU and rather open than compressed.
The lil 59 is more on the compressed side, has quite some mids and you can hear it's not an alnico magnet. I say it's hotter than the SH-1 also.
Not what i was looking for at the time.
I don't know how i would like it today.

The chopper is also quite mid forward but has less output than the lil59. It's definitely a humbucker sound but there is more tele in there than with the lil59. I didn't like it in my warm alder tele, but it's really great in my rather cold ash tele which benefits from some extra mids.