Pickup wiring question from newbie

Slt8576

TDPRI Member
I recently got a used Squier Double Fat Strat (HH) to try my own pickup swap for the first time, and I'm confused about something I'm seeing under the hood. Before I start disconnecting anything, I wanted to make sure I was doing things right...

Stock is 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 2 tones, 3-way switch. I'm using the attached as my wiring diagram.

In the diagram, it looks like the wires for the two pickups don't connect—they go straight to the pickup selector. However, when I opened it up (see photo), it looks like the red neck pickup wire and the green bridge pickup wire are joined. Is that accurate and, if so, why are they joined and how would I update the wiring diagram accordingly? Or is this a case where they're not actually connected and maybe just got stuck together over time and can be yanked apart?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 24

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
So the thing to keep in mind is that different pickup manufacturers use different colors for their humbuckers. So it can get confusing in a hurry.

1658160874889.png

I don't have much experience with humbuckers, but on the couple I've messed with the red and white wire are soldered together. So it's not out of the norm to see pickup wires soldered together.

But you're saying that the red and green wires are coming from neck and bridge and meeting up? Are they going to the switch or to the back of the volume pot? It's hard to tell from your picture.

1stpitch

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Look closer. The bare wire out of the red and green sheath from each pickup are wired together at the pot ground, just like the diagram says. The insulted wires (white) are going to the switch.

IronSchef

Tele-Afflicted
it looks like what you are seeing as "tied together" is the ground connections from both HB connecting to the back of the pot. You can see one white lead from each of those main cables going to the switch lugs.

When you wire in your new HBs - match the hot leads from each with the existing white leads, connect the grounds, and make sure the other two leads are tied off (connects the two coils in series - those leads would be broken apart in coil-split wiring schemes)

Like mentioned above - colors differ from manufacturer to manufacturer - so refer to mfg wiring digram for correct colors for the 4 wires (also, sometimes HBs come with the coil leads already soldered together and taped off)