Pickup wiring diagram troubleshooting advice

tazz2

TDPRI Member
Hi all,

Working on a new build with 2 humbuckers, 2 tone, 1 volume and a 3 way toggle. Have been following this schematic here from Seymour Duncan but cannot seem to get it to work...
I've tried all the usual electronics troubleshooting methods; checked all soldering connection, made sure components were working, made sure the jack wasn't wired around the wrong way... but still no luck.

Can anyone see any glaring issues with this diagram?

Thanks in advance!

1655812591856.png

peterg

Tele-Meister
I don’t see any issues with the diagram. Can you post photos of your work?

rojo412

Tele-Meister
Here's a diagram from Guitarelectronics.com:
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.10.46 AM.png

For deciphering the pickup brand wiring color codes, they have this, too:
Or, in the diagram, you can see that "north start" is + and "south start/bare" is -.
Also, they do the tone wiring a little differently.

I've gotten bad diagrams from Duncan before, so I tend to trust these guys more.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
are you using SD Humbuckers.. the wiring color code is NOT the same for all similar looking pickups from different manufacturers..

tazz2

TDPRI Member
Thanks all.

To clarify, I don't get any signal from either of the pickups.

I'm using a Gotoh HB for the neck, it's a four-conductor HB and although I've lost the diagram I had previously marked the hot and ground wires and had it working in a previous guitar. Have also used a multi-meter and measure 7.5k across the hot and ground I've marked out on it.
The bridge pickup is a Gibson with braided shield.

Below are some pics of what I've done following the SD diagram posted above. Still no luck with further tweaking!

1655879810268.png

1655879955745.png

1655880122239.png

peterg

Tele-Meister
Looks like your switch output is grounded and the switch ground goes to your volume pot input lug.

peterg

Tele-Meister
Additional info. Your switch is laid out differently than the diagram switch. The thicker lug, below and in between the input lugs, is ground and the 2 lugs at the opposite end are your outputs.

RogerC

Poster Extraordinaire
Looks like your switch output is grounded and the switch ground goes to your volume pot input lug.

Additional info. Your switch is laid out differently than the diagram switch. The thicker lug, below and in between the input lugs, is ground and the 2 lugs at the opposite end are your outputs.
That's what it looks like to me as well.

tazz2

TDPRI Member
Thanks Peterg.

I think that the picture might be misleading.
The thicker lug on the switch between the two input lugs is connected to the first lug on the volume pot and the 2 output lugs on the switch are connected to the first lugs on the bridge and tone pots.

Which I think is as per the wiring diagram?