Pickup Suggestions? Neck, especially.

afterdarkmusic

Tele-Meister
Pickup recommendations, please.

Considering: Fender custom shop Nocaster set, Cavalier Nocaster Bridge/Lion King Neck

Looking for: Something a little brighter/clearer in the neck specifically. I tend to live in the neck or middle position and play primarily fingerstyle, mostly clean or lightly overdriven, through a Princeton. Looking for more clarity in the midrange especially, and a little more chime.

Currently have: Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge (don’t mind it, a little pokey on the high end but overall okay, and I like the spank) and Seymour Duncan Antiquity Tele in the neck. The neck, especially, has a lot of midrange content and not quite enough highs, even with the thin nickel cover and A5 pickups. It’s almost like there’s a blanket over the amp in the neck position.

I just replaced a SD vintage tele neck that was just dark as hell with the brass cover. I was hoping the antiquity would get me where I wanted to be.

This is in a 2005 Classic Series ‘60s that I’m trying to finally upgrade to be my #1 after all these years.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
DiMarzio Twang King for the neck and True Velvet for the bridge. I use that combo in one of my teles and they're killer. For most of my teles I put together, I typically went for a DiMarzio in the neck and combine with a Florance or Budz in the bridge. The True Velvet bridge holds its own with those pickups.

Cavalier in my experience has been a little dull and clunky.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
I would email Rob from Cavalier and let him know what you're looking for. The Lion King is an excellent pickup, but he has some other offerings (Lioness, Wolf, She-Wolf) that might be more what you're looking for. He will fix you up. He winds excellent pickups.

tomasz

Tele-Afflicted
+1 on reaching out to Rob, he should be able to advise to your liking. Im happy with his Wolf on the Beck, but that od really personal preference. Anyway, good pickups for sure!

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
DiMarzio Twang King for the neck and True Velvet for the bridge. I use that combo in one of my teles and they're killer. For most of my teles I put together, I typically went for a DiMarzio in the neck and combine with a Florance or Budz in the bridge. The True Velvet bridge holds its own with those pickups.

Cavalier in my experience has been a little dull and clunky.
Yes! Yes, and Yes on the DiMarzio's. My experience with the Cavaliers has been ok also, they are good with Swamp Ash bodies.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Tele neck pickup design and it's variations by other companies are mostly that 'compressed dark sound'. It's just what they are. For clarity and nice neck tone (now you are becoming "not Tele"!) a Strat neck pickup, or a Minibucker are very popular choices.
I don't think you are going to get a huge change in sounds from a pickup swap to similar pickups.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Bootstrap "Pretzel" set would probably float yer boat.
I *LOVE* this bridge pickup, and the neck is fabulous as well.
Also like my Seymour "Hot Tele" set.
But the Bootstraps are $25, and the Seymours $170.

I agree with JVIN248 as per looking at the cap you're using.
I like a .033 with single coils, whereas most stock wiring uses .047.
This is so much cheaper and easier than swapping pickups ...

Best of Luck!

BrokenTele

TDPRI Member
Great “clear” Tele neck pickups:

Fender Twisted Tele
Fender ‘62 RI
True Custom Wicked T
Dimarzio Twang King
Bill Lawrence Keystones
Bootstrap Pretzel

PhredE

Friend of Leo's
I really, really, really like my Bootstrap Palo Duro for quasi-vintage neck Tele PU tones. Clear, bright (not too bright), responsive and sounds good.

naneek

Tele-Holic
I typically went for a DiMarzio in the neck
Yes! Yes, and Yes on the DiMarzio's.
Me three on Dimarzios for the neck position.
I love their Area T stacked hum cancelling tele neck pickup. Clearer and bolder than a standard tele neck pickup. Single coil clarity with a little bit of extra humbucker deliciousness.

With its 4 conductor wiring it would be a breeze to get everything in phase with your SD broadcaster bridge.

In comparison, if you used a fender single coil neck pickup with your SD single coil bridge it would be out of phase and would not hum-cancel in the middle position.

jackal

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I love a strat pickup in the neck position of my Teles. SD hot for strat is one of my favorites. Goes well with their hot for tele bridge pickup.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Remove neck pickup
Immerse in melted wax
Bury in neighbors yard
Adjust amp for more bass and less treble
Results: brighter clearer neck tone

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
In comparison, if you used a fender single coil neck pickup with your SD single coil bridge it would be out of phase and would not hum-cancel in the middle position.
Whenever that happens, regardless of any make, I just flip-flop the hot and ground wires on one of the pickups and it should be in-phase then.