1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickup suggestions for rock & roll Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by telefan62, Feb 19, 2015.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

What was that split rail Springsteen used in 90's...that had some edge to it..

2. kmac

kmac Tele-Meister

I didn't read all the recommendations, but the florence voodoo te50 is the best bridge pup I've ever had. Snarly, nasty and nice. Not a lot of twang. Kills rock tones. Gritty as Hell and ballz for days. Not cheap, but totally worth it and totally kick ass. It's marvelous clean. Throw some dirt on it and it is magic.

3. kmac

kmac Tele-Meister

I have mine paired with a late 80s american strat neck pup on a 4 way switch. That set up can cover a ton of ground.

4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure they were Joe Bardens, which, imo, are excellent R&R pups...

5. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

I do this with a Duncan vintage stack in the bridge and a Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck. 500K pots sound best. No hum.

6. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

OK, thanks to the OP and this thread, it's NBGD! New borrowed guitar day. :p

I was talking about his Baja and my friend offered to loan it to me yesterday.

[​IMG]

Even though I'm not a fan of the chunky neck I've played it for hours. I'm alternating and recording loop samples to compare this guitar and my current #1 Strat. I have to say I could gig this Baja. For an out of the box guitar and playing through my tube rig I think it has an impressive range of tone.

Specifically for cleans I like Position 3 (neck only) and for OD the bridge (Position 1) IMO rivals a humbucker but it's too ice picky for me and I'd need to roll out highs somewhere.

Bottom line I like the Twisted Tele neck pickup, in my tests it's very Strat like.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Two great Options:

1. For the bridge pickup - Dimarzio Area "Hot" T - Still sounds like a good ol punchy Tele and can do exactly what you are describing (this is what I play), but it really rocks nicely. The cherry on top is - it's noiseless. For the neck - I'd do a Dimarzio Twang King, or a Fender Twisted Tele.

2. You could also do an Analogman Big -T. He has a bridge and neck pickup and I think they sound amazing.

Listen to this:

8. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. So many intriguing choices, it's hard to pick just one, but I ordered a set of Manlius T-90s just a few minutes ago. Looking forward to trying them out!

9. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

10. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

Great tone from these Don Mares

11. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

12. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Hey folks -
    To close the loop on this, I ended up buying a matched set of Manlius T-90 pickups and I have to say…..I’m thrilled with the results! These things rock - the guitar still sounds like a member of the extended Telecaster family, but with a healthy does of P90 character. I really, really dig them and I’m now getting exactly what I wanted to get out of this particular guitar.

The pickup builder behind Manlius (Mick) is super cool. Very responsive and he will wind them hotter for you if you like. (I opted for a standard wind.) Good dude; good pickups; I’m a new fan.

13. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Ooops...forgot photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

Congrats! Looks fantastic.

15. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Alamo LOVES his Bill and Becky Lawrence L-48TL and L-45S combo for rock n' roll.

That Tele looks SHARP!

16. geotele

geotele TDPRI Member

Hi; I know this is a little after the fact, but the set up I use in my Mia tele is a dimarzio hot area T in the bridge, and a dimarzio mini-bucker in the neck. You can get the whole range of magical Tele tones..with NO noise! When you're on stage and playing "for real", the guitar has to be noise free! To me, this is the setup Fender should've used in the hot rod tele!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.