pickup suggestions for a tele in H - x - S setup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by discogravy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

I have a dual humbucker squier tele which I would like to mod so that the bridge pickup is a single-coil or single-coil sized humbucker (ie "stacked"). any suggestions on pickups or reasons i shouldn't do this? i'm totally green to modding my own guitars so any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Stratotwanger

Stratotwanger Former Member

There would be no use that I can think of to put a stacked humbucker in the bridge, you would just end up with the same sound you already have. What kind of music do you play and what kind of sound are you going after? That would help a lot in pointing you in the right direction. Of course you could just change the bridge and put a tele bridge pickup in it and if you wanted to put a single coil in the neck too, they make pickup ring adaptors for that. Unless you have a Tele with a typical Tele pickguard on it already, in which case you could just change to a normal Tele pick guard and replace the humbucker with a standard Tele neck pickup. Like I said, it's all about what sound you want to get.

3. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply; I play mostly rock and jazz and like a variety of tones. Mostly I'm looking to be able to switch between a deep fat sound and a hot overdriven clean tone. Aesthetically I just like the neck-humbucker and bridge-single coil look on tele's. It just so happens that the cheapo squier I got to do this on is dual-humbucker. would there be wiring difficulties in this? the pickup selector is a 3-position toggle (like in Les Pauls/SGs).

4. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

You can have it all! Get a standard single coil cut bridge and stick a single coil sized humbucker in it if thats what you like. Sure you'll be replacing a HB with a HB, but getting it in at that angle is the source of some of the tele tone magic. And looks way better. Put in push/pull pots wired up for coil cut (single coil/full humbucker) switching on each pickup individually. Now with your 3 pos selector switch and 2 push/pulls you've got like 12 possible pickup configuration combos! Thats how I've got mine wired and it's really very versatile. I installed a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for Tele in the bridge and Full Shred in the neck. Very nicely balanced and great tone. There's other things you can have your switches do, series/parallel switching, even series/single coil/parallel with an on/on/on switch! There's a lot you can do with a soldering iron and some wire. Wiring diagrams are readily available, will probably come with the pickups you buy and really, once you get past the fear of screwing something up, it's pretty easy!! Just make sure to buy extra pots, if you're new to soldering you'll probably melt at least one ;)

5. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

thanks for your post verne, that sounds like a killer idea that is relatively simple to pull off, i think that's the way i'll go on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.