Pickup soldering help please

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Coryd, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

I'm a total noob at soldering/installing pickups, switches, etc.
    I thought i would be able to change the 3 way switch easily however on the G&L ASAT Deluxe. (2 red wires for the bridge and neck, and 1 white wire) I went to my local music store and bought a new switch and decided to try this weekend. I'm running into issues I would like to see if someone here can help me with. I wired it the way the guy at the local shop said to, but i still need to wire the ground from the switch to the back of a pot (what the local guy suggested) I plugged it in just to see if i could get sound and i do but it is really quiet. Is this because i don't have it grounded? I've attached some pics to show my work. Have i incorrectly soldered the switch?

Attached Files:

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Without seeing a schematic or diagram for the switch my guess is the red wires are signal wires from each pickup and the white wire is the output wire that goes to the input of the volume control. The switch MAY ground to where it is installed. You may have to tighten it down for it to get a good ground, which will increase volume.
    Good luck,

3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

4. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

5. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

With the symptom you describe and your picture, it looks to me as though you have connected the white lead (your hot to volume) on the FAT ground tab of that switch.

I assume the switch you have doesn't quite match the representation in the S-D drawing - and there's no reason to have two ground tabs. I see the two tabs on the OTHER side of the switch, which is where I believe the white hot lead should go.

In the S-D drawing, you can see that the two "output to volume" tabs are bent in and soldered together. So my guess is that the FAT tab on your switch is most likely the ground connection, and the two tabs on the other side of the switch (where you have nothing connected) are the hot output.

Of course, I'm old and the eyesight ain't what it used to be...

Coryd likes this.
  6. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

Many thanks!!! I'll give this a try. It can't hurt i guess. The local guy told me to wire it the way i have it wired, but maybe he was hoping that i would just bring it in for them to finish the job. I'll try to solder the white to the other side like you mentioned. I hope that is the answer. I'll report back soon. Hopefully i'll have some time tonight to try this.

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

We discussed this recently, same switch: the two tabs left unconnected on the second/new picture are the output (solder them together to the white output) . The big tab in the middle is the ground.

SnidelyWhiplash and Coryd like this.
  8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

most important - pickup wire color codes are not industry standardized, so literally, anything goes for lead colors unless explicitly designated by the pickup manufacturer.

SnidelyWhiplash and Coryd like this.
  9. Coryd

Coryd TDPRI Member

This worked!!! Many thanks!!!

Just need to set the guitar up and get it back to it's owner.

Again, i really appreciate the help!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.