Pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Subro, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Subro

Subro TDPRI Member

I got this tele as a project and it’s quickly becoming my number one tele, I just want to replace the pickups and I’ll probably stop tweaking it.
    I’m quite heavy handed, I play through a Vox (on the edge of breaking so I can go from clean to really punchy by just picking differently).
    I like bright guitars and I like teles that have a bit too much of everything frequency-wise, being snappy and punchy whilst still vintage voiced and low output to get plenty of definition and a nice top end, I like when the guitar fights the gain a bit (I use a tone bender MKII quite a lot)
    For the neck I like more hollow, open, sort of strat-y pickups.

I’m leaning towards the SD Antiquities. Anyone here have them and want to share the experience?
    I saw that the original antiquity neck pickup is a bit more open and trebly than the 55 and than the II so I’m thinking about getting that one.
    For the bridge should I go original or 55? My tele has a 7.25” radius so I thought that the staggered pole pieces might be nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

DM Twang Kings.

LGOberean and FenderGuy53 like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cavalier Nashville Lion and Lion King set might work for you.

ezra1, CCK1 and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  4. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I've had a lot of Antiquities. In Teles I've had flat-pole and raised-'55 in two and Antiquity IIs in one. Not a tremendous difference in the three. I currently have 8 Teles with a variety of pickups. The Antiquities are my favorite pickups in my #1 Tele. I would not describe them as having too much of anything but I would say defined, articulate, and a very sweet top end direct to relatively clean tube amps with no pedals. To my ears they are the most honest pickups I've had in a resonant guitar. I love Don Mare's pickups as well but there is the wait and price to consider. Fender Nocasters are my third favorite and deserve consideration IMO.

5. Subro

Subro TDPRI Member

How do you like the neck pickup? I see people complaining that they’re too dark and muddy but I saw some videos on youtube that the neck pickup sounds amazing. Pickup reviews are always tricky.

Having experience with both, what are the differences between the neck pickup on the normal Antiquity and the Antiquity 55?

6. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I like the darker neck pickups, I play mostly traditional blues and a little jazz so it works well for my needs. I do have Teles that have brighter pickups and I like them as well, particularly a Lindy Fralin 3% overwind and the CS Nocaster. You can roll the tone back on those and get a darker tone but it's not quite the same as the Ant. I believe the neck pickups are the same with those two (no?) and I used the standard Antiquity neck with my Ant II bridge as well. You might prefer the nickel silver covered pickup if you want a little more bite. I have played one and it's different and a great pickup. Ant II would be more "Stratty"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Anything by Virgil or Arlo Guthrie?:D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

My wife likes the rug ;)

Subro likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Bootstrap Pickups Pretzel set......you'll be impressed! ;)

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I like the idea that you bought a guitar which matched your rug. Or a rug, to go with your guitar. :)

A lot of folks reckon that the Twisted Tele neck pickup sounds Stratty, if that's the sound you are looking for. Or you could go the whole way- and buy a Strat pickup and a new pickguard?

Enjoy the hunt. :cool:

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

SD Antiquities are great pickups but there are differences in them. Cavaliers are very good also.

ezra1 and Vibrolux59 like this.
  12. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Indeed there is an Antiquity '55 neck PU. I have no experience with that one. I was unaware it existed.

13. Subro

Subro TDPRI Member

The rug came first but funny enough most of my flat is red and I only have red guitars, which was not on purpose as I bought them because I liked the way they sound and feel and it happened that they were all red. I guess it’s my thing now.

Yeah, I played with twisted teles once and wasn’t crazy about the bridge but the neck one was interesting. A lot of people pair the neck one with a nocaster on the bridge but Fender only sells them in pairs. I reckon they could make a lot of money if they did a nocaster and twisted tele set, I saw that Monty’s guitars (I have his PAFs on my 355 and they’re brilliant) is selling one actually, based on Danish Pete’s purple tele.

14. Subro

Subro TDPRI Member

I called SD just out of curiosity, they said that the Antiquity I and the 55 are exactly the same except for the raised poles on the bridge pickup and the neck one is the exact same pickup, I reckon they sell it as Antiquity and Antiquity 55 just to avoid people emailing asking which neck pickup to pair with the 55, I don’t know.

SnidelyWhiplash and Vibrolux59 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.