pickup recommendation please

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fender4life, Jul 2, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I just bought a MIM 69 thinline as body maple neck, traditional pickups./bridge. I have had a couple other thinline so i knew what to expect....it's quite bright. Dig it, but i would like to tame the top some. And no, tone controls are not the answer for me w/o going into a longwinded explanation. I'm fine with the pickup i put in the neck, a twang king. But in the bridge i put my trust fender 62 custom which is a A2 6k pickups that i mainly like because it sounds good in most everything i put them in and the A2 rounds off the top without killing the tele twang and chime and all that good stuff. In this case however like i seem to find with thinlines, it's not quite doing that.

Heres the thing....i don't like overwound pickups, i like traditional vintage output and will live with the high end if i must rather than compromise the vintage tele goodness. But i'm asking this to see if theres is any kind of general consensus on a pickup that will do what i need. No boutique/expensive ones please, i'm retired and not well off financially and prefer not to forgo food for guitar parts. So the cheaper the better.

Oh, and before anyone mentions saddles/bridge, i don't want a modern gotoh type as i have tried those including on one of the thinlines i had and again i would rather deal with a vintage bridge's brightness. Plus i have a bag of saddle and i tried 4 different ones and settled on what had become my fav in recent times, stew mac brass. They help more then any other but still i need to tame it elsewhere and pickups seem like the best option. I also put a AVRI bridge plate which is about the same as what was on it tho the chroming and text is different. I just used it because it looks better to me but didn't change the tone at all that i could tell. Anyways, what have u found that tames a bright tele w/o compromising the tele-ness of it. Don't ask why because it's not important, but no cavaliers please. (i mention it because i know thats the first thing everyone recommends here for most any need)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    tamer_of_banthas and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Bootstrap Pickups. He can custom wind one for your needs at a cheaper price than you’ll likely find anywhere else. His “off the shelf” stuff is great as well.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You've got so many objections and conditions, you'll probably not like any of my suggestions either :))) but here goes.......first, play around with the height of your bridge p/up, you may need to find the "sweet spot". If that doesn't make you happy, call Ryan at Bootstrap Pickups. He is what I would call a "boutique" builder, simply for the fact that his is a small shop, hand-making pickups, but without the "boutique" pricing. My choice in a bridge pickup is his Pretzel set. I don't like the "brittle brightness" of many typical Teles, and the Pretzel has presence and "cuts through", but without harshness or ice-pick irritation. A Pretzel bridge by itself is $25-30, so VERY reasonable.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I had a Twang King in the neck and a Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge of my Tele, worked great though that may be more growl than you’re after

I like the Duncan Alnico 2 Pro a lot, too. Really smooth balanced tone, great all around pickup.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, I cant really help I don't think. The "tone controls aren't the answer" doesn't match up with "too bright" in finding something. Add to that "I don't like higher wound pickups" and I just don't know. Lower wind are brighter unless you go to a non Tele style pickup and find something that by nature is softer on the highs like a Filtertron.
    You may get someone to say they can build you something, but it's going to be marginally different.....maybe that's enough for you though.
    -No treble bleed in the guitar right?
    -A cheap ceramic Tele pup may help

I once asked Ted Weber if he could make a C12N that wasn't so loud and efficient, he just told me "loud is what we do and the C12N character is derived from features like the voice coil gap, which also makes it loud"

3-Chord-Genius and nojazzhere like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For single coils, I like Rio Grande Muy Grande.
    If you’d consider noiseless pickups, Kinman’s are a great choice.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I too do not like overwound single coils, and I actually really dig those plastic bobbin Fender bridge pickups that come in the Thinlines, 50s Classic Series, and Esquires - once you put a baseplate on them.

In my experience, Tele bridge pickups without a baseplate are thin and overly bright sounding and adding a baseplate will beef up the lower mids and take the edge off the highs. And you are left with a very traditional sounding, bright, spanky, biting, twangy, vintage Tele tone. And I like them paired with the Fender '64s in the neck position - a bright twangy neck pickup.
    I just responded yesterday to a thread about putting a baseplate on those plastic bobbin pickups where you have to drill out the baseplate mounting holes, etc - if interested, you can find it here:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/telec...s-volume-on-tone-change.1033863/#post-9939200

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  8. fender4life

IU adjust my pickups ad nausium to get the best from them and thats not it. But that bootstrap sounds pretty good from your description and the price is right. I'll check it out, tho if it's A5 i don't think theres any way it will do better then the 62 custom i have in it now.

9. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

This right here, ridiculously good pick ups it's like you're stealing from them at their prices!

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

Best wishes, for sure.
    I'm just grateful my ears are not as sensitive and selective as some people's. I can generally get an acceptable sound out of just about any pickup or amp......then I can focus on playing music.
    I'm not putting a man on the moon. ;)

unfamous likes this.
  11. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

Well aren't you special.
    Maybe you could include some clips of you playing so we can all get an idea of what a tone monster sounds like?

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

Well, in fact, I AM special......my mother always told me so. ;)
    I'm just saying I TRY to spend my time getting better at playing, and not "sniffing corks".
    I apologize for triggering your hostility.....that wasn't my intention.

13. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

I just bought a 69 thinline. I changed the pots to 250k and put Lollar Vintage Ts in it.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do that, and certainly wouldn't advise you to play it through a Headstrong Verbrovibe -- I don't want anyone to sound like me. :lol::lol::lol:

GFrank likes this.
  14. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

Well it sounded more like you had come down from Mount Olympus to belittle the rest of us for striving for better tone. And you know, just because some one eats McDonalds every day and is quite satisfied by it doesn't mean there is not better food to be had.....

15. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

All I can say: Nocaster

JJOVa and nojazzhere like this.
  16. nojazzhere

More like On Top of Ol Smokey than Mount Olympus, but the OP sounded like a petulant bride planning the perfect wedding. Every suggestion I or someone else made was met with objections and argument. I believe that "music" is in the hands and skills of a player, and less in the magnets or number of winds in a pickup. (within reason, of course) When you build a house, you do need a comfortable, adequate hammer....but it's still "just a hammer". ;)

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

1- Lower the pickups flush to the pickguard or trim rings. Raise the bridge pickup just enough to get volume balance switching neck to bridge. Test for a few days.
    2- Get your longest guitar cable, and see if that knocks enough bite off the top. Long cables add capacitance.
    3- Measure volume pot actual kohms. Find another pot that measures actual kohms toward the low end of the spec.
    4- Replace the tone cap with 0.068uF which will trim some top end off even at the tone knob wide open.
    5- Then swap for pickups and start up at the top of the list setting heights.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1 on Bootstrap. The Palo Duro set is one of my all-time faves.

I've also had great pickups from Cavalier, Sunday Handwound and OC Duff.

nojazzhere and mjstamos like this.
  19. fender4life

I love those. Not sure it would do what i want tho because the one time i tried one was in another bright tele i wanted to tame and it didn't do it. It was a really bright guitar tho, more then this current one. Hmmmm...have to think about this. It really was one of my fav tele bridge pups if not THE fav.

20. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

You're asking this forum for guidance, but I think you're experience with the problem at hand easily trumps anyone else's here.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.