1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickup position relative to saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bancika, Mar 4, 2015.

1. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Hi,

could someone owning a tele with a 6 saddle bridge help? I'm trying to figure out distance between the intonation point on high E string and the bridge pickup, like this.

[​IMG]

I think it should be 1", give or take, but it would be awesome if someone could confirm.

Thanks,
    Bane

2. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

The intonation point should be determined by the intonation at the 12th fret -- i.e. open/ fretted/ harmonic E all in tune with one another.

Any measurement based in distance between saddle and pickup is basically arbitrary if the intonation isn't otherwise correct.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I too have to ask why that would be important to know. It's not how correct intonation is determined.

4. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

I find it interesting, though this measurement has nothing to do with proper setting of intonation. My partscaster with a fairly standard neck measures 1", give or take.

My partscaster with a 24" scale neck with 22 frets required a lot of modification to it's heel to create an overhang, so it would intonate, has a measurement of 9/16". Much closer and much more twangy even though it has the same bridge pickup as the other.

5. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

It's a weird question, I must admit...but it has nothing to do with intonation, bear with me for a moment :)

I'm building a tele-like guitar without a tele bridge and trying to determine pickup placement that would be close to that of a real thing. High E intonation point should be the closest to 25.5" from the nut. It would be more precise to measure from one of the frets though. If someone is willing to do that, it would be even better :rolleyes:

The PDF plan I used as a reference somehow shows pickup around .8" from the high E saddle. I tried to confirm that with a couple of photos of real guitars and drawings of tele bridges, and it always comes up around 1" (+-5%).

6. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Heads up most issues with a 6 saddle like that have to do with the low E string not having enough travel room. Many will cut the spring short to let it screw farther in.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

It varies: different models are different even with atypical pickups in a tele.

Look at the difference say from a modern player to a tele stardard hh. Other things make the bridge placement different on a tele body. In the case of the modern player it's because it has a 22 fret neck with no overhang.

Pickup distance from the bridge is not really critical, however the closer it is to the bridge the brighter ( or more shrill for some ) its tone will be.

8. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

looks like the biggest difference is between vintage and modern style bridge

[​IMG]

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bancica is correct - the pickup rout is in a different place relative to the string-through holes on an Am Std bridge compared to a vintage style bridge plate.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious... is the (single-coil) bridge pickup rout the same distance from the neck pocket on all Fender and Squier models?

11. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yes, give or take a little bit as patterns changed over the years.

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.