1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickup magnet strength

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Pedalhead2, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Pedalhead2

Pedalhead2 NEW MEMBER!

Hello All,

First time post here. I have a question for any of the more physics minded people.

Question: Do hotter pickups have a stronger magnetic pull on the strings?

Background of the question: I have what used to be a Squier Tele that has become a partscaster/teach myself guitar mechanics. I recently swapped out the stock bridge and a SD hot rail for a Wilkinson bridge and SD vintage broadcaster. In doing so, I took the SD quarter pounder neck and dropped the height significantly to accommodate the output balance. These changes effected my sustain considerably for the better. Prior to the changes, I had ordered a SD vintage tele neck expecting to want to not like the quarter pounder anymore. But my concern is that using lower output neck pickup and raising it will reduce all this beautiful sustain I have found. Or is that sustain all in the bridge?

Thanks for any thoughts?

2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

>stronger magnetic pull on the strings>

Sustain.

Physics 101

Take a SINGLE ball swinging pendulum deals and get it going, now place a magnet under it and see how long the ball swings.

Bigger magnet, stop ball faster- strings like ball.

4. Pedalhead2

Pedalhead2 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks so much. Section 2.8 was perfect.

5. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

A pickup with a hotter wind may not necessarily have a stronger magnet. Some higher output pickups use alnico magnets in their design and others will utilize a ceramic magnet. There are 4-5 grades of alnico magnets used in pickups and each type has a different gauss level. Ceramic magnets are also used in everything from cheap low budget pickups to high output pickups. You can use a gauss meter to determine if one pickup has a stronger magnet than another pickup but most of the time you can check the specs on the pickup manufacturers website.

Pedalhead2 and Alex_C like this.
  6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Hotter pickups have more windings, which wouldn't effect the magnetic pull. The magnet strength varies by model and manufacturer.

dan40 and Pedalhead2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.