Pickup Location for Dual Filtertron Cabronita?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by poorman, Aug 1, 2011.

1. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

I had another post asking for plans...got no response so I'll ask a slightly different question....

I'm building a Cabronita style guitar from scratch and need to determine the pickup locations. Are there any resources, measurement or can anyone provide a plan?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I would just take the standard tele blueprint and overlay your Cabronita pickup routes?

3. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Yeah, but a couple mm one way or the other could have a significant tonal impact. I'm hoping for something more precise.

There are several Cabronita builds on this forum...hopefully some of the builders will chime in.

4. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

I'm definitely interested in knowing the bridge pickup distance from the bridge! :) I have a filtertron that is waiting for me to have the time to start building!!!

So bump for poorman

5. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

You could download the free evaluation copy of BigPrint. This allows you to load in a picture, specify one known dimension (such as the scale length) and then measure off any other dimension.

6. Ragtime Dan

Yes, that's the theory. But Even though George Fullerton, may have made drawings for Leo, with specs to the third decimal place. At Fender's factory, they all came out slightly different. So you have a bridge with a wide range of adjustment to compensate. In other words, don't let fretting about the exact position of the magnet pole pieces, stop you from proceeding with your project.

Slightly different positions can sometimes produce a discernible difference in tone. But it's a subjective difference, not a do or die difference.

7. jrcorp

jrcorp TDPRI Member

Cool idea for a program, not surprised but impressed someone came up with this. A little OT, but I'll have to keep this in mind in the future if it could be of use.

8. Ragtime Dan

Here's an idea I stole from another thread ;)

Go to the TV Jones website and look for the "TV Savalas Bridge Plate".

It is a Telecaster bridge plate for Filtrons.

The dimensions they show for the bridge plate, will let you figure out the position of the pickup, relative to standard four screw bridge mounting holes.

They show the edge of the pickup hole at 1.25" from the four mounting screws centerline.

Add .695" and that places the centerline of the pickup at 1.945"
    from the centerline of the four mounting screws.

9. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Per Ragtime_Dan

[​IMG]

DW

10. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Now we're getting some good info! Thanks, gents.

11. Ragtime Dan

Yes Rum Runner. But you are showing the the "Modern Tele Bridge Plate" with the three screw layout. I am speaking of the TV Savalas Bridge Plate with four screws, which will correlate to the four screw mounting position shown on the Terry Downs drawing for reference.

12. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

https://tvjones.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=02-011-0100
    :D

13. Ragtime Dan

Yes That's it!

14. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

I haven't measured one or seen a Fender PDF of it (much less seen or held a CS one), but there are some consistencies in other Fender layouts... see page 5 of this: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachme...able-guitar-template-pdf-72-custom-deluxe-pdf

the center lines in question would be the ones used for the WRHBs, 2 HB and P90 teles (the exceptions are noted on that page). Those lines are 1.238" and 5.482" from the inside edge of the neck route. That puts the center line of the bridge p'up at 1.888" from vintage bridge screw holes.

again, it's not concrete, but that would be my best guess. Maybe someone will chime in with actual measurements.

15. demillso

demillso TDPRI Member

I don't have the measurements here with me but I dropped a few images into Microstation and I believe the distance was almost exactly 2 inches from the 25.5 scale length line I used to line up the bridge to the centerline of the bridge pickup. (I didn't use a standard bridge so the mounting holes were no good to measure from)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.