1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

pickup install question...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jakedog, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Ok, so I got the ES-T system totally removed from my Taylor 114e. Found a new system, and was able to easily mate it to the built in battery box/endpin jack combo that came on the guitar. Everything a breeze, except:

The new pickup is about half the thickness of the old one, and now the sadlle will sit too low. Would a guy shim over or under the pickup, and what would he use, or should I just get a new saddle made?

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'd shim over the pickup and would use varying slivers of a hard plastic sheet until you get it right. I've used multiple slivers of plastic in the past, also used hard paper. I know paper defies logic regarding when it comes to 'transmitting vibrations to the top' and so-on but I've messed with a few flattops & sometimes things just work.

I've tried to use slivers of bone or similar but hard to get thin stuff shaped.

You know you really want solid & consistent pressure from saddle to pickup. IMO you can get that with 'shims' & I'd try that simple route before building a new saddle.

3. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

'dog,
    Give Taylor customer service a call. Some time back, I needed a new saddle for a Taylor and called to ask what I should buy and they just sent me a couple Tusq saddles gratis. The saddles they'd send would be tall enough that you could sand a bit off the bottom and fit it yourself without too much difficultly. Give it a shot. Taylor is pretty serious about customer service, at least that's been my experience.

4. Jakedog

Excellent idea, thanks!

5. Jakedog

Update!

Got the Taylor all fixed up. I wanted to use it this week, so I opted not to wait to have saddles mailed.

I ripped out the factory ES-T electronics, because of a love hate relationship with them. I loved to hate them.:lol:

Installed a Fishman Matrix Infinity system. I've always liked the Fishman stuff. It's a little piezo-ish sounding (because it is) but it's great at handling high SPL's and full band gigs without feedback issues, and is still really workable for solo and duo stuff.

I had my tech cut me a new saddle, I dropped the guitar off to him yesterday morning, and picked it up about an hour ago. he works me in really quickly, because I both give, and send him a lot of business.

It's fantastic. Plays and sounds like it should, and now sounds killer plugged in too. I'm a very happy camper.

Now all I have to do is find something creative to do with these three little holes staring at me where the knobs used to be. Hmmmm...

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Somewhere in Interville there's a video of Guy Clark making the observation, after tearing the preamp out of an old Takamine, that the hole makes a very good sound port. . . .

7. Jakedog

Yeah. After much thought, I've decided just to leave the holes there, and name the guitar Jesus.

8. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Too late for the op, but for anyone else searching this dilemma, MiSi makes a control set called the Align XT that will fit the Taylor three-hole layout. It works with their battery-free rechargeable preamp system that they designed to work with the LR Baggs under saddle piezo pickup. Which is ironic because the Taylor has that great tail-block battery box. I've heard the MiSi preamp used live in different sized rooms and it's impressive.

http://mi-si.com/products/

9. Jakedog

The Taylor tail block set up is cool. I tied the Fishman into it no problem, so I can still use the battery box. Much more convenient than having a little bag stuck inside the guitar.

10. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

There is a system made to cover the holes etc and change that system out, called Tru Plug. Worth a look if you do fancy 'filling' those three holes.

Kris

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.