1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickup identification help

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by NorthenLights, Apr 15, 2021.

1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Don't think so, last time I installed Mex pickups in something they were more powerful than that and the earth lead is usually shorter as it's grounded to the body.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Perhaps Korean with glued mags
    on bottom of both. Usually done
    in big production runs.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Some MIM Fenders in the 90s came with glued-on ceramic mags like that. The wire colors are correct too.

Could be Fender. But might not be.

Guthrie Trapp's green Tele (the one he plays the most...made by Floyd Cassista) has MIM ceramics in it. So there ya go.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. NorthenLights

I can't believe Fender doesn't put a stamp on their pickups. It should'nt have to be a toss up between the real deal and chep knock offs.

After some research, I think they may be squiers. Probably not early japanese, as they are in too good condition to be that old. I'm guessing squier affinity from the pictures I've seen.

I know the pictures are rather dark, but one thing that stands out are the two blobs over the cables on the bridge pickup. I've never seen that before. Looks like epoxy or something? Anyone recognize that?

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

+1 Squier pickups.
    Most of the MIM ceramic pickups have two small bars on the sides of longer steel slugs rather than one large bar.

Ceramic magnets are stronger than alnico .. .so use your ears when setting pickup heights and don't use Fender 'published specs' that were designed with alnico in mind.

Generally, start with the pickups as low as they will go, then raise the bridge pickup until volume parity with the neck pickup. Adjust bass/treble 'tip' to get the tone sweep you want from there.

Ceramic magnet pickups can sound just as good as alnico if you use your ears.

More recent Squier Indonesia-made guitars are using the same method as Leo Fender did on G&L 'MFD' MIA models: stronger magnets with lower windings to get the same output strength but much lower noise.

8. NorthenLights

After some testing, I found out they are threaded for metric screws. That definitively rules out Mexico. Squier affinitys is still my best bet, although I haven't been able to any that looks identical to mine. Those epoxy blobs really makes them a mystery.

I'll see when I can get around to try them out. Right now my tele is equppied with a pair if alnico V Wilkinsons that, to be honest, sounds like they are covered by a wet blanket. I hope by going agsinst my prejudices against ceramics and giving these s chance, they will make the guitar come alive.

9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I pulled some pickups out of an Affinity for a friend in favor of Bootstraps and those sure look like them.

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

How can you tell just by looking at a guitar if the pickups are alnicos or ceramics?

Here are some clues to help you determine that.

[​IMG]

11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Fender's MIM ceramics have the two bar magnets straddling the polepieces. Those look more like MIJ ones that were used on Japanese Fender and Fernanades guitars, among others, and are also used on a lot of Squiers and other lower priced Asian guitars. But, some Squiers, like the Bullet Teles, also have the dual magnets on them.

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

A pickup isn't necessarily bad just 'cause it's ceramic, just different than alnico. The MIJ Strat pickups with those single bar magnets that came on Fender and Fernandes Strats from Japan sound great. There are other high quality pickups that use ceramics, from Gibson, SD, Dimarzio, and others.

13. NorthenLights

Well, I've certainly learned that alnico pickups can suck, so I guess that the opposite can be true about ceramics!

I've installed the pickups now. They did make a slight improvement to the Wilkinsons, but they still don't come close to the David Whites in my thinline. Sigh. I guess I may have to go the botique route anyway to truly satisfied.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.