1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickup ID help?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by chrisj1602, Mar 30, 2018.

1. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I have recently got myself a used Baja, adjusted the pickup heights etc once I got it home and suspected the neck pickup wasn't a twisted Tele. I took the guard off to find this... Any ideas? Looks pretty cheap... 1522413895414.jpg 1522413914938.jpg

2. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

It's a generic Tele neck pickup. Clearly not a Twisted Tele. Does the neck feel and look thick too? I'm afraid all the good features of Baja have been swapped.

3. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

It's wired up correctly with the 4 way and the S1, has the ground wire added to the cover. It actually sounds fine, but more Tele than Twisted Tele. Just lifted the bridge out and that pickup looks like it's been swapped too...

4. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

1522414924139.jpg 1522414931399.jpg

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Don't know about the bridge but that neck pickup is cheap ceramic magnet model. and I concur the bridge is not a TT. If the seller represented this as a stock Baja I think that was deceptive.

OTOH, you say it sounds just fine, so no biggie. Some ceramic single coils do sound really good.

Cheers,
    Rex

6. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I am bit disappointed. Even though it sounds fine, it's niggling me. And if I have to sell it on, I will lose out.

The seller didn't know they had been swapped, he took it in a trade.

7. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I would think hard about selling it. Baja is a special Tele out there. About pickups, well, we always find excuse to swap them anyway.

8. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

You're right... I won't sell it, and l will swap the pickups eventually.

It's just a bit frustrating because the current pickups are effectively worth nothing because I don't know what they are. If I'd swapped out the stock pickups I'd be able to sell them on.

I like the guitar though, it plays great, and it does sound fine.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Kind of like having a hole in your underwear eh? Bugs you 'cause you know it's there, but nobody else can tell.
    Until now...;).
    Hey just kidding. I'm glad it sounds good. The stock alnicos that come in the older Tele Squier Standards are some seriously good sounding pickups too. I had one guy choose them as the ones for him in a blind test between a couple custom hand-wounds , same SD's and Fenders.
    And if you ever want to make it stock, I hear the TT's that come stock in the Baha are a little different than the Fender CS models and typically sell for a bit less. Lots of them on the on-line auctions. I love the TTs and am about to swap a set into my #1.

Cheers,
    Rex

chrisj1602 likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The bridge pickup looks ok, it seems to be a 'Broadcaster' with flat not staggered poles and black and white plastic covered wire which is correct for the Mex Baja.
    The Twisted Tele neck pickup used in Bajas should also have plastic wire like this.
    Baja_Twisted_Tele_neck_pickup.jpg

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

The neck pickup looks like it came from a 2006-present MIM Standard, and somebody added a red wire to ground its cover.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.