Pickup height on Mex. Classic Teles

AtlanticCity83

Tele-Meister
Hi,

Anybody here with a Classic 60s or 50s Telecaster? Just wanna know about your pickup height adjustments. :)

I checked and it's around 3mm on the bass side, around 2mm in the treble side, both pickups. There's no difference in volume.

Another question: I think I need new neck pickup screws. Which screws are the correct ones?

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
While there may be a spec fender sets theirs to just so they don't have to take time to do a quality job, pickup height is adjusted to personal sound preference. A common starting place for easy reference is an American nickle between the string and pickup on the high E & 2 nickels between the low e.

If you get too close on the neck pickup the magnetic pull on the strings can pull the string out of proper vibration and mess with your intonation.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I like to start at 1/16" ( about 1.6mm ) between the poles and bottoms of both E strings, with the string depressed at the last fret. Then adjust pickup height downward to remove harsh tones, boominess, woofiness, ice-pick, fizz, whatever annoys you, and also to balance bass and treble on each pickup, and with each other, and to get the best middle sound. Eventually it will be just right :)

I like to hear non-boomy triads at the 9th fret using the bottom 3 strings, and clean and clear triads at the 5th fret using the top 3 strings. I think everyone has their own standards, it's up to you and your ears and your amp.

What's wrong with the neck pickup screws?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Fender sells stock pickup screws on their site. Ideal height can vary with a lot of factors including your playing style.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I think but I'm not sure that the height screws for a body-mounted neck pickup are #4 wood screws, anybody?