1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickup Covers For Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StompBoxRacer, Oct 25, 2019.

1. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

Will any single coil cover do (neck position single coil) or do I need to find a tele specific PUP cover?

I've got an early 00's MIM Std Tele on the way with a beautiful Burgundy Red finish. The neck pick-up is uncovered and black against a white pick guard, I'm probably going to change the pick guard out for a black one and wanted to put a chrome cover on the neck.

2. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Telecaster neck pickups are smaller that Stratocaster and they use the chrome cover for tonal response. Make sure you have a Tele pickup, because sometimes Strat pickups were put in the neck by previous owners like me.

nojazzhere and StompBoxRacer like this.
  3. StompBoxRacer

I greatly appreciate the insight, thank you.
    Strat's and Les Paul's I know, Tele's are new territory for me.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

To elaborate a little on what 440mhz said.....Tele neck, bridge, and Strat single coils are all different sizes. If the one you have coming has a STRAT single in the neck, the pickguard hole will not fit a conventional Tele neck p/up. When I had a "Nashville" style configuration with stock bridge and two Strat p/ups in middle and neck, I had to order a custom pickguard.....a "normal" Nashville's neck p/up hole is too small for a Strat-sized neck p/up.

StompBoxRacer likes this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

The Guitar Fetish "Nashville" pickguards are cut for two Strat pickups, not 1 Tele 1 Strat like a real Nashville. Maybe they should call them the "Beijing".

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. StompBoxRacer

I don't have the guitar in my possession yet, it's a MIM 1998-99 model and judging from the pic the neck pickup does look smaller than the bridge pickup.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Just have to wait and see.....however, even a STRAT-style in the neck position is smaller than a Tele bridge p/up. Otherwise, the neck p/up could be a normal Tele neck p/up with the chrome cover removed. Don't know how that would sound. Anyway, let us know and post pics when it does come in. :)

8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

That might sound purty darn good, and there are good aftermarket pickups that come without a cover.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.