1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Picks: no more just one more

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Jul 17, 2018.

1. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

my very young son kept asking me for my picks and talking me into buying more. He chose all the strange colors and kept hiding them all in his room. Two years later, I've completely converted to just playing with my fingers only. It completely changed the way I interact with my guitar. I guess I can thank him for it. I really don't care about picks anymore, but if I grabbed one, it'd be the ones I always used: those orange dunlops.

El Tele Lobo and P Thought like this.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Cool pick collection. If you like picks then why quit? Stick with picks man. Only stop when you have a mini van completely filled.....that may be an unhealthy pick fetish level.

:cool:

3. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I went to a glass blowing class and chose to make this little dish, picks only!

Picks.jpg

El Tele Lobo, 24 track and P Thought like this.
  4. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I use Dunlop Jazz III for electric, and some light flat picking acoustic and even lighter touch for a supplemental melody with my classical when home recording. Also use a felt pick for that.

Acoustic I use a dark grey TUSQ XL A2 1.0 mm.

I keep extras in a monkey pod dish, but each guitar has 2 on a rubber holder that slips between strings above the nut. Each also has an extra in their cases.

Regarding the piggy bank, I have a vague memory of my older brother having one like that which had belonged to our father. Dad said it had been painted pink when he got it new, but over time the paint wore off.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hope you all know, I completely understand that any number of picks, including many that are cheap over the counter or bought in bulk, might do a fine job of plucking guitar strings. It makes perfect sense to me that many people settle on one pick style and stay with it.

I'm going to try to stop buying picks now, but I doubt that I'll ever stop changing which ones I use.

Interestingly, I do have one guitar, my '05 LTD, that has been "married" since I bought it to one pick, a Blue Chip TD40. It's a really good marriage, and I hate to break it up.

cattail body.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I wish I could play a regular pick - but I can play a hundred times more articulately with a small pick.

The lightbulb went off when I first tried the white teardrop decades ago.

Cant use thumbpicks or fingerpicks either.

The weird thing is that I started on bass and you would figure I wouldnt be sensitive to anything. :D

7. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr Tele-Meister

I like the pig. Such a cool item to have around the house,no matter the age of the user.
    Personally V-picks are all I use now. Once you get used to them there's no turning back.

P Thought likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like the little jazz pics too. Dunlap Jazz IIIs, as well as some others, similarly sized for electric. I can use normal size pics for acoustic, but I prefer the large, teardrop shape D’Angelico Excels.

BCblues55 and P Thought like this.
  9. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

I have his cousin. FD1CD0E5-65F9-435A-B1C1-C4CDA7368DE4.jpeg

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I love the pigs!

I hardly ever use picks these days, but have loads in a variety of little tins and boxes accumulated over the years.
    SWMBO gave me the bicycle one, the St Bruno tobacco tin was retrieved from my dad's workshop when I had to clear it after he died and the little leather collar stud box was given me by my grandfather nearly 50 years ago. The pick on the top of it is (to my shame) tortoise shell and I bought it in early 1968 from a music shop in Harmer Street, Gravesend (not the present day Elephant Music) when I was first starting to learn guitar on a borrowed archtop Hofner. Somehow it survived.

20180911_095753.jpg

I guess most people have their best picks safely stored down the side of one of these guitar storage units.

20180906_113449.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  11. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

20180914_131849.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  12. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

I'm still using (the few I have left) the old discontinued black Gibson 'thin' STAR picks...love'em.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    P Thought likes this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Uh, if you want to be a compleatist, you need to try the Brian May sixpence pick.

P Thought likes this.
  14. P Thought

:lol: I doubt that's possible! A complete collection of say, Red Bears alone would overflow my piggy bank, not to mention my bank account.

I have one or two, and there are many on the market, but I don't think metal picks are for me. YMMV, of course.

15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I couldn't pick just one - continue your quest .

P Thought likes this.
  16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm with Mike on this. My wife got me one of those "Pick Punches" several years ago as a stocking stuffer Christmas gift. She thought it would just be a gag gift, but I took to it. I haven't made a purchase of "store bought" picks since. I use expired credit/debit cards, some of the "come on" cards they send in the mail, and prepaid cards, including ones for use at the grocery store, gas pumps, fast food restaurants, etc. I've even experimented with high pressure laminate sheets for countertops; they're thinner than credit cards, but really stiff. Thing is, I like holes drilled/melted through them at the top/round end of the pick, so I have a raised texture to hang on to. So I have a cheap stainless steel fork I use for the purpose; I just heat up the tines over a burner on the stove, and "mod" my DYI picks!

As for a container, I don't have a piggy bank, though that old one is really cool. And I've never been one to tuck a pick in between the strings and leave it there. I do typically have one or two in each of my guitar cases, as well as in my gig bag. But mostly I use my "pick pocket," that little pocket above the main pocket on the right side of Levi's jeans, that originally was used for a pocket watch. I always wear jeans, so I've always got picks with me. The surplus I keep in empty tins from bean dip.

So yeah, I'm cheap! :oops: But it works for me. It helps me to think of it as recycling the old cards! At fast food restaurants and grocery stores now, when a card has been used up they typically start to throw it in some recycle or trash bin, but I stop them. "Hey, I'll take that! That's 4-5 guitar picks waiting to happen right there!" ;)

P Thought likes this.
  17. P Thought

I gave this one a serious turn in rotation, in my SBG dread, and I'm pretty fond of it now. A boy in my class made it for me from a broken record I'd given him, I think an old Hank Williams album (not a 78, now that I think of it, but probably a late '40s or early '50s LP). It's stiff and thick, but not too thick. I think that's it in the OP picture, partly hiding under the triangular ivory pick at right, in the middle.

At first it was very noisy, as you might expect, but soon its point wore down to a very nice bevel. Now the noise is much more manageable with pick attack, and the bakelite gives its own tone, maybe like a V-Pick on steroids. I like the sound and feel. The funnest thing is the record grooves: they are a built-in "grip surface".

The bakelite pick will go back in the piggy-bank soon--it's been in the SBG strings for 3 or 4 weeks--but it will definitely get more turns in the rotation.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Some nice pick holders shown in this thread.

Though posted before, a while back, here is my pick holder, made by my daughter some years ago:

753B8D03-C03B-466B-B4E7-DCB5F4EB8FE3.jpeg

19. P Thought

[​IMG]

OK, one more. I just ordered a "Guthrie Govan" signature pick from Red Bear. It has a serrated top edge; their Jasper Red is my favorite pick color; it's Christmastime; I'm an idiot. . .I looked in my account at the "review your orders" page and saw that this pick puts my total orders over the years over the $400 mark. And that's just the Red Bears. Och, tamale.

I guess the piggy bank is hungry.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  20. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Well that is very interesting. I have had this since I was a child. From what I understand it was a gift from my grandmother when I was a baby or small child. Probably early to mid 1960s. Very cool seeing that.

[​IMG]

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.