1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Picks: no more just one more

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Jul 17, 2018.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A Red Bear here, a Blue Chip there. . .I've been acquiring exotic picks one or two at a time for several years now. I keep them in this old piggy bank I've had since I was a kid:

Bank.jpg

The other day the piggy-bank fell off its perch and spilled out its contents:

collection.jpg

I think perhaps this has gone far enough. I hope I can stop without formal rehab intervention. Not counting the few picks that are with guitars in their cases, but including the ones in the strings in the guitars hanging on the walls and the one I keep on my key ring, here's an inventory:

14 Red Bears; 7 V-Picks; 9 miscellaneous Dunlops; 5 Blue Chips; 5 John Pearse Fast Tortoise; 3 Dugains; 5 Graph Tech Tusqs; 4 Wegens; 5 SurfPicks; 4 Pro-Pleks; 2 Hell Picks; 13 miscellaneous nylon, celluloid, and plastic picks; 4 handmade wooden picks from my son; an agate pick, a Bob Colosi ivory pick; a real tortoise pick; a stainless-steel pick; a bakelite pick from a 78rpm record; a "Dawg" pick; a finger pick; and a Recording King thumb pick (those last two I don't use).

I've used these pick acquisitions as a buffer against GAS: buying expensive guitars would damage my finances, but I can afford an occasional expensive pick. I have ten guitars, all good quality but of fairly modest pedigree, and I keep a pick tucked in the strings of each one, rotating picks into the lineup from the piggy bank. Most of the picks in the bank get used at least occasionally, although of course I have my favorites.

I do enjoy the differences in sound and feel when I change picks for any given guitar. I'm going to try to stop buying new ones, though. I think I might have enough to last me a while.

Anyone else here have a pick problem?

2. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

No pick problem here, but I really dig the pig.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great collection!

P Thought likes this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

They're like any musical item, you have to find what works best for you. After a similar search I found the small teardrop jazz picks Clayton makes works for me for both electric and acoustic. I got off cheap.

El Tele Lobo and P Thought like this.
  5. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I don't currently have a pick problem, but if I had a pig that cool I'd probably become obsessed with feeding it something, so I could very well see myself developing such a problem.

nojazzhere and P Thought like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Totally cool piggy bank with a great tradition with picks. I say continue on. Don't stop now.

24 track and P Thought like this.
  7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Have the same - used to keep them in an old phono cartridge box.

I still cant understand why Fender stopped making the white celluloid 358 teardrops!

I recently found 100 80's and 90's ones. I guess these will have to last me - forever :cry:

P Thought likes this.
  8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep buying seems like a relatively inexpensive habit. I agree with everyone else the piggy-bank is a neat object you have had all your life.

P Thought likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I tried a bunch and decided the cheap D'addario/Planet Waves celluloid ones work best for me... sound good, not much pick noise, I can use the same pick on acoustic & tele, cheap, and they for some reason stick to my fingers.

I gotta sell some. I have a couple of blue chips, awesome pick, but I didn't buy the right shape and they are a little thick for my preference.

The Dunlop Tortex ads on the back of Premier guitar always seem to serve as a reminder that there are a lot of really successful players who were totally fine on really cheap picks.

OlRedNeckHippy and P Thought like this.
  10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Have not purchased anymore picks since my son bought me this: pick-punch.jpg I've turned dozens of expired gift cards in to picks. I still have some Fender mediums laying around in my cases.
    s-l300.jpg My Snoopy bank came with a box of Chex cereal I bought in 1992. I throw all my loose change in him, and the wife and sons raid him when they want.

LGOberean, Deeve and P Thought like this.
  11. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Same for me. I was given one of those money boxes that counts the coins. Oddly enough when the jar is full the total that comes out never seems to match the counter on the top ;)

Nice pick collection though. Great things to collect too. I have used the small teardrop Tortex picks for years - cheap and last for ages.

P Thought likes this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have different picks all over the place in little plastic boxes or metal tins. But I keep about seven in the "pick pocket" of my jeans that I use all the time. Two different styles for electric guitar, a couple for acoustic and one for bass.

P Thought likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The pig I'm sure came hand-me-down from some older relative--parent, aunt or uncle, grandparent. It was old-looking from the start, and until about the time I started collecting picks its two halves were impossibly stuck together. I forget how I finally managed to break it open; I think it involved a strap wrench, WD-40, a screwdriver, and a vise. Maybe a propane torch.

Whatever money was in it--that I don't remember either--there's a dang sight more now, in the form of fancy picks!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the '70s, my mother had one just like it.

I'd say the fact that you took the time to sort and count all of those picks does indeed indicate that you have a problem. That's the sort of thing I would do. :)

P Thought likes this.
  15. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

I save all mine in the dryer.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nicely curated!

P Thought likes this.
  17. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    I had a pig almost identical to that! Mine had a tiny latch on the back of the pig's head and a hinge on the bottom so it opened up but did not separate. It looked exactly like that otherwise (and was old when I had it, no idea where it came from). I have no idea where it is now but I want it back!!

P Thought likes this.
  18. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

That is quite an assortment of pics. I really like the pig, its got a story.:) I've been using this glass block coin bank for my pics.

IMG_2057.JPG

P Thought likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

out of all of these I only use Shark fins have for the past 25 years.

P1011920.JPG P1011916.JPG

brookdalebill and P Thought like this.
  20. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Don’t b a Quitter :)

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.