Pickle Ball

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
We tried pickle ball last night for the first time. Lots of fun. We enjoyed it. Recommend. We bought a net on Amazon. No fighting for a spot at the local courts.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
It actually became our official State sport here in Washington. That's all I got.

Cause it was invented here:

I always think it's funny when my wife and I decide to take a few walking laps around Battle Point Park and we get to the end of the park where the pickle-ballers are playing... All you can hear is "k-pock" "k-pock". :D

xStonr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’m 68 and just started playing. I find it enjoyable to play and it’s a good workout for me.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
One, note, be careful, there are lots on injuries when people are not in shape or play too much. The game is quick with lots of twisting, turning and movement.

Yep. This is exactly what I was going to say. I have some older friends who got into this sport about a year or so ago. IMO they play way too much for their ages and now one of the wives has a severe issue with her ankle, and she's been laid up now for about 2 weeks and it's starting to sound like she might need surgery. They were playing nearly every day, and most weekends, thinking it's good exercise etc. and they've over done it. I think they should've left it to playing once a week, and not playing so hard, cause now they're paying for it.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Pickleball...well, it seems lame. I was always a hard, fast serve kind of guy. In Tennis, I played back and I always looked for quick, skinny partners to do the running (since I couldn't). Serving underhand, below the waist with a hard plastic ball tends to eliminate my other favorite thing, spin/english. If I can't have my opponent breaking his/her ankles when my shot bounces an unexpected direction...what's the point?

Spinning / 'putting English on' the ball in pickle is absolutely a thing. I do it whenever I play.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
My knees and back visibly recoiled/were horrified when they first heard about PB.

Chiropractors/ortho’s/knee surgeons were visibly aroused when they first heard about it…
That’s interesting because I can play 1-1.5 hours of pickle ball with no issue but squatting, kneeling, stairs and uneven terrain gives my knees a lot of trouble.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Side to side /quick pivoting/standing then leaping into action ? excruciating.

20 mile bike ride at 18-20 mph ?

No prob.

All our bodies are beat-up and old in different ways…🤣

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Side to side /quick pivoting/standing then leaping into action ? excruciating.

20 mile bike ride at 18-20 mph ?

No prob.

All our bodies are beat-up and old in different ways…🤣
I'm aware of the popularity.

Thing about bike riding is how carry a sandwich and beer friendly. Thing about stick and ball sports as we age is it's your cohort complaining about same problems when done. Thing about trailhead sports is your when done party is usually the cute young people mixed with the most fun left of the old farts.

Confession, your beverage capacity and consumption and your particular posse can really hurt holding an 18-20 MPH average - something I enjoy more and more.

If I die doing a more stick and ball or redneck sport there's more mess to clean up. If I end doing something more adventurous you can leave the mess to vultures or raccoons.

Seriously, I'm good with anything that gets and keeps people moving and having fun.

2NWT9jo.jpg