Pickle Ball

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
We have a nice indoor court at work. We lost a lot of office productivity to impromptu afternoon games.
We recently installed a virtual golf simulator. Now the office is empty by 1:00pm.
I don’t golf so I just go home when upper management heads upstairs.
Miss pickle ball though.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
Lotta fun, until the hyper competitive folks get involved.
It’s great fun to play well, but you know THOSE types.
It’s nice to have some sport that you can get pickup games with. I’m happy to play guitars for fun, but I like to run around some too.
I’m too old for hoops anymore, and it’s pleasantly social. Don’t sneer to hard at it…

bowman

Friend of Leo's
It’s crazy popular now. There are some courts that I drive by occasionally, and every one is always in use with many people waiting for an open court. I’ve been tempted to stop and find out if the games get rowdy, but I’m an old guy, too, and I don’t want get hit on by some old lady who’s actually age-appropriate! That would damage my ego…especially when she kicks my butt in a pickle ball game.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
I had never heard of Pickle Ball until early last year, when I flew to Florida for my aunt's 100th birthday. My 70-ish cousin and her husband are (or were) absolutely obsessed with it. It was their way of staying in shape during the unfortunate unmentionable unpleasantness.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I am a former racquetball player who got into Pickleball during the pandemic due to gym closures. It is growing like crazy. The game is very fun and social since most of it is doubles. Singles is not too popular but is a great workout. PB is easy to play and and the equipment is cheap. Most local rec departments also have beginner classes to get you on your way.

Definitely not old people tennis, as the game is played at the net, if you stay back you will loose the points.

One, note, be careful, there are lots on injuries when people are not in shape or play too much. The game is quick with lots of twisting, turning and movement.

I am currently recovering from a meniscus tear which could be the result of my age, but I was playing a bunch.

There is a growing Pro scene with competing tours, the APP and PPA. Here is a pro point to show the high level.

I don't like the sound of that meniscus thing, don't know what it is, don't know what it does and that is just fine. Do everybody a favor and keep your pants on.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Like @rave, I played Racquetball. 15yrs with 5-6 guys from work (and tennis from about 6yrs old thru high school). Racquetball Doubles was way too much fun and nobody was obsessive/competitive enough to be an a-hole. I didn't like competition, though I would go to watch. I suck as a singles player, but I was your huckleberry if you need a doubles partner.

Pickleball...well, it seems lame. I was always a hard, fast serve kind of guy. In Tennis, I played back and I always looked for quick, skinny partners to do the running (since I couldn't). Serving underhand, below the waist with a hard plastic ball tends to eliminate my other favorite thing, spin/english. If I can't have my opponent breaking his/her ankles when my shot bounces an unexpected direction...what's the point?

Still, there's the limited running thing. Fast volley play once you get out of the initial two-bounce stuff. Meh. If one of the neighbors invited me, I'd probably go.

rave

Tele-Holic
I don't like the sound of that meniscus thing, don't know what it is, don't know what it does and that is just fine. Do everybody a favor and keep your pants on.
Haha, its in the knee. Also, a PSA to those that want to try it, get yourself some impact resistant sunglasses or clear safety glasses. The game points end up getting played with the teams about 15 feet apart and I have unfortunately seen a few eye injuries, even in Rec play.

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
I didn't like competition, though I would go to watch.

Pickleball...well, it seems lame. I was always a hard, fast serve kind of guy. In Tennis, I played back and I always looked for quick, skinny partners to do the running (since I couldn't). Serving underhand, below the waist with a hard plastic ball tends to eliminate my other favorite thing, spin/english. If I can't have my opponent breaking his/her ankles when my shot bounces an unexpected direction...what's the point?
Yeah, you’re not competitive at all! 😉

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Haha, its in the knee. Also, a PSA to those that want to try it, get yourself some impact resistant sunglasses or clear safety glasses. The game points end up getting played with the teams about 15 feet apart and I have unfortunately seen a few eye injuries, even in Rec play.
If you don't have a pickle ball can you use pickled eggs?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I think there was an outbreak of Pickle Ball going around campus when I was a student.

Maybe it was Cornhole...
...It was so long ago...

Avri

TDPRI Member
I’ve been playing the past few months with my teenagers who suddenly developed an interest. All the previous comments do capture the essence of the game: less running than tennis but still has a lot of action, simple to learn and a ton of fun. All you really need is decent paddle and a court (usually an existing tennis court) that’s marked appropriately. If you feel need for particularly active version just find a fast teen athlete and they’ll automatically take it up a notch and give you a workout. Great way to get out and get some exercise!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I teach PE to incredibly unmotivated middle school students. Pickleball is one of only units I teach that every student enjoys and tries their best at. It’s a great way to get outside and get a little activity.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I am a former racquetball player who got into Pickleball during the pandemic due to gym closures. It is growing like crazy. The game is very fun and social since most of it is doubles. Singles is not too popular but is a great workout. PB is easy to play and and the equipment is cheap. Most local rec departments also have beginner classes to get you on your way.

Definitely not old people tennis, as the game is played at the net, if you stay back you will loose the points.

One, note, be careful, there are lots on injuries when people are not in shape or play too much. The game is quick with lots of twisting, turning and movement.

I am currently recovering from a meniscus tear which could be the result of my age, but I was playing a bunch.

There is a growing Pro scene with competing tours, the APP and PPA. Here is a pro point to show the high level.

Is there some rule that you can't try to score for the first 30 seconds?

rave

Tele-Holic
Is there some rule that you can't try to score for the first 30 seconds?
The rule is that the ball must bounce on the receiving teams side and then also on the serving teams side before anyone can volley the ball. Also their is a zone called the no volley zone or "kitchen" where you can't take the ball out of the air. These rules are designed to make the rallies longer.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The rule is that the ball must bounce on the receiving teams side and then also on the serving teams side before anyone can volley the ball. Also their is a zone called the no volley zone or "kitchen" where you can't take the ball out of the air. These rules are designed to make the rallies longer.
Wait, pickle ball has rules??? Now I know I won’t like it.