Pickle Ball

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I never heard of pickleball until I moved to southern Utah. But it is immensely popular hear with pickleball complexes with several courts all over town. There are PB multi-day tournaments every weekend here

rave

Tele-Holic
I am a former racquetball player who got into Pickleball during the pandemic due to gym closures. It is growing like crazy. The game is very fun and social since most of it is doubles. Singles is not too popular but is a great workout. PB is easy to play and and the equipment is cheap. Most local rec departments also have beginner classes to get you on your way.

Definitely not old people tennis, as the game is played at the net, if you stay back you will loose the points.

One, note, be careful, there are lots on injuries when people are not in shape or play too much. The game is quick with lots of twisting, turning and movement.

I am currently recovering from a meniscus tear which could be the result of my age, but I was playing a bunch.

There is a growing Pro scene with competing tours, the APP and PPA. Here is a pro point to show the high level.

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
PB is easy to play and and the equipment is cheap. Most local rec departments also have beginner classes to get you on your way.
I think of it as being kinda like badminton that way (and I mean that as a compliment!): easy to learn, friendly for all ages/levels, but at the same time high-level competition is no joke!

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I dig it. One of my best friends is frikking OBSESSED with it. I think it's a lot of fun, and gets you outside and active-- what's not to like??

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
If I see another corn hole game while camping I will go crazy. Trying to listen to nature and you hear thud thud. Lol

1656268080793.png

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Is pickle ball like mini tennis for old folks ? Doesn’t look like badminton .
Pickle Ball is pretty cool - it's most like tennis with the extra added ease of play of a small court and big paddles - I think it's cool - but it irritates me that people are turning it into a competition type sport and taking the fun out of it.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Mrs. G has been talking about it. Don’t know why, I couldn’t get her on to a tennis court a decade back. I could probably enjoy it if it weren’t for all the obsessive elders out there on the courts. I don’t have any interest in making pickle ball friends. Or any kind, really…
Pickle Ball is pretty cool - it's most like tennis with the extra added ease of play of a small court and big paddles - I think it's cool - but it irritates me that people are turning it into a competition type sport and taking the fun out of it.
Exactly.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It's real big here too and growing. Initially was more older folks but now has all age groups. I remember in the 70s when "paddle ball" started getting popular. It was kind of like a "watered down" version of tennis. I don't mean that as a knock, just a little slower and not requiring as much of a learning curve. Pickle ball seems like another "watered down" version of tennis.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s hugely popular here and has been for 4-5 years.
I’ve seen high school kids playing as well as the older crowd. I’d guess the median age here is 45-50 but I’ll bet it drops down to 35-45.

While a predominately a social game where most people are out to have fun and get some exercise there are few of the “win at all costs”, and “my job is to kill you” clowns.

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Apparently pretty popular around here as well although I've yet to see any courts anywhere. Just hear people talking about it.