Picking album title that's already used by anothe band...

Mexitele Blues

Tele-Afflicted
call it "Album of the Year"... should get a few plays online..;)
...from Faith No More fans!

1659034251653.png

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Zak and the Krakens? Love the Surf clip :)
Yes, its uncool to use the same album name.
Have you already used "Zak and the Krakens"? which is a pretty good name already.
"The Kraken Wakes!" (the name of the classic sci-fi book) is also good :)
I think, because its a different genre, there's no copyright infringement.
I don't know where you got the zak and the kraken thing, but it was almost the name of a video game.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Using a trademarked name is generally illegal. But satire and parody are protected speech. The People versus Larry Flynt is about a court that somewhat settled the question.

No sane person will think you're imposters trying to pass yourselves off as the Beatles, right? So my unlawyerly guess is that it depends on your rationale and the nature of your act.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Zak and the Krakens? Love the Surf clip :)
Yes, its uncool to use the same album name.
The law doesn't care squat about cool.
Have you already used "Zak and the Krakens"? which is a pretty good name already.
"The Kraken Wakes!" (the name of the classic sci-fi book) is also good :)
I think, because its a different genre, there's no copyright infringement.
Genre doesn't matter, either. Titles of books, songs, plays, movies, and albums are not protected by copyright. Only the content is protected.

Doubleday published a book my sister wrote in the seventies called And We Are Not Saved. A few years ago, another book called And We Are Not Saved came out in the same genre: nonfiction about the civil rights movement.

My sister was miffed, to say the least, but there wasn't anything she could do but stew. It was legal to use the name. Names aren't copyrighted.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
There are some great album names that were used by others but would probably be okay for your band to use. Try:

"Led Zeppelin II"
"Black Sabbath IV"
"Chicago XVIMXIIVVX....."

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Don McLean's first album was entitled Tapestry. It was released in 1970. This was the year before "American Pie."

In 1971, Carole King released an album entitled Tapestry. Sold a gazillion copies.

RaistMagus

Tele-Holic
I don't know where you got the zak and the kraken thing, but it was almost the name of a video game.
Nice catch! Yes it is inspired by the game, adjusted to sound like a 60s band name (Dick Dale and the Deltones, Davie Allan and the Arrows, etc).

I had a serious approach for the band, the others much more silly/light approach, that name was a great compromise I think.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Hi guys, I'm looking for a name for our soon-to-be-released album (Spotify, Bandcamp), we're small amateur band. So I've thought of "with a bang" as album title, then I google it and I find that some other small random band has used it, and it exists on Spotify as well. What would you do in such a case? Is it uncool to use the same album name? On one hand, I'd like to come up with something unique. On the other hand, with the access to information we have in 2022 and with the amount of small and big bands that have existed in the past 70 years it's hard to find an original name.
There are numerous established bands with albums called "Killers".
There are numerous established bands with original songs named "Call of the Wild".

I'd just go ahead and use "With a Bang"... it's heaps better than a self titled debut(YAWN!) or some
Roman numeral tomfoolery.

Also... regarding your nick... Dragonlance -fan much? ;)

RaistMagus

Tele-Holic
There are numerous established bands with albums called "Killers".
There are numerous established bands with original songs named "Call of the Wild".

I'd just go ahead and use "With a Bang"... it's heaps better than a self titled debut(YAWN!) or some
Roman numeral tomfoolery.

Also... regarding your nick... Dragonlance -fan much? ;)
We already did the self-titled debut 🤣

Ive had this account and my email ([email protected]) since I was young so I'm stuck with the Dragonlance names haha!

FWIW we ended up with the album name "astrolith visions". Should match the cover and the songs. I wonder if I can share it in tdpri when it is released, even though it contains 0% telecaster.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
With all due respect to all, I don't really understand this or the other recent thread regarding re-using band names. There are almost an infinite amount of words/combination of words in most languages, particularly English. For a recording name if there's some key word or idea that a new artist wants to use to convey an idea or theme that's already been used then utilizing a little creativity should yield something unique enough as to not be confused. For the OP example, since the "other" band is also small and random it probably doesn't make much difference but just for example some alternatives could be:

What a bang!
And bang!
And It Goes Bang!
Bada Bang!

But, most importantly, good luck with your new recording regardless of what you call it. Share it with us!:)

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
We already did the self-titled debut 🤣
Oh dear.. Well... Better that than having a self titled album sometime later in your career. That's way worse! :D

Ive had this account and my email ([email protected]) since I was young so I'm stuck with the Dragonlance names haha!
I've read at least 10 Dragonlance books and I have the AD&D 1st edition Dragonlance source book,
so your nick kinda jumped out at me. 🙃

FWIW we ended up with the album name "astrolith visions". Should match the cover and the songs. I wonder if I can share it in tdpri when it is released, even though it contains 0% telecaster.
Sounds cool!
Just post the links in the Twanger Central -forum here when you have them.
I highly doubt there will be any inquiry board review regarding Telecaster content in your music. 😇