Picking album title that's already used by anothe band...

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Or, you could do something like the Hee Bee Gee Bees did for their second album:

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
yeah just use it. nobody cares. song and record titles are fair game, whereas using a band name that already exists is just a headache.
i guess it would be different if it was a famous album title...but you can do that too if you’re being cheeky and making a statement, like sonic youth’s bad moon rising or something.
Well, I don't know about "care", but I notice, and wonder, why do that?
Thinking of names is not too hard, surely!
To be fair, Sonic Youth had a strong thematic reason for using "Bad Moon Rising" even though they didn't actually play it, which I kind of was sad about, but whatcha gonna do :)

:::

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If you looked long enough there’s probably 20 bands with the same name too. But so what? If you’re album is called Frampton Comes Alive that’s a problem but if it’s a common phrase that’s fine.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Hi guys, I'm looking for a name for our soon-to-be-released album (Spotify, Bandcamp), we're small amateur band. So I've thought of "with a bang" as album title, then I google it and I find that some other small random band has used it, and it exists on Spotify as well. What would you do in such a case? Is it uncool to use the same album name? On one hand, I'd like to come up with something unique. On the other hand, with the access to information we have in 2022 and with the amount of small and big bands that have existed in the past 70 years it's hard to find an original name.
Use it. There are many books, songs, etc. with the same title, so...

Edit: and just think, if you end up getting into a public dispute over it, that's exposure for you both!

RaistMagus

Tele-Holic
Thanks for all the replies and the nice discussion : ) I'll suggest the re-used name then, maybe I'll be 1% less cool but whatever, it is very hard to find an album title that all 3 members agree on, let alone one that is original as well.

If you are as optimistic as we bunch of 70+ yr old dudes call it Volume 1.

Hardly going to grab the attention of the punters though.

Never Too Late Vol.2 should be out at the end of July and we have another 30 or so tracks that are ready to go and we are writing a couple of songs a week
Glad you recorded this, I'm listening to it right now and I'm quite enjoying it! Maybe you know the Atlantics? They're my favorite surf band and I had the honor to meet them and share the stage with them : )

Zak and the Krakens? Love the Surf clip :)
Yes, its uncool to use the same album name.
Have you already used "Zak and the Krakens"? which is a pretty good name already.
"The Kraken Wakes!" (the name of the classic sci-fi book) is also good :)
I think, because its a different genre, there's no copyright infringement.
Glad you liked the music : ) We already used the band name for our first original album (self-titled). We were lazy then, now we have to come up with a proper name haha

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Glad you recorded this, I'm listening to it right now and I'm quite enjoying it! Maybe you know the Atlantics? They're my favorite surf band and I had the honor to meet them and share the stage with them : )
Thanks for listening to the album and the kind words.

I don't know the Atlantics personally and only saw them live once just the had the big hit with Bombora.

They had gone into some sort of hiatus during my gigging years and our musical direction was very different so even the chance of landing on the same stage was more than remote.

Bosco now does or until recently did a Man In Black tribute show.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
In Sound Man, his autobiography, Glyn Johns wrote:
I started back in with The Who to finish Who’s Next, finding that you had to be on your toes working with them as they had quite volatile tendencies, but that just made life more interesting. I recall sitting in the control room, discussing what the album should be called, having just finished the first playback of the final running order. Keith Moon’s suggestion was All Their Records. When asked to explain, he said, “Well, the kids will go into a record store and ask for all their records by The Who.”
It could still work! ;)

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
However, I think, if I was starting out, trying to get search results, I'd be tempted to call mine Queens Greatest Hits, Dark Side Of The Moon or Bat Out Of Hell... or a very close variation of something well known... Hat Out Of Bell, Dark Side Of The Noobs, {Band's name} Greatest Hits.
My 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (no relation)' will be released later this year... ;)

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
If you are as optimistic as we bunch of 70+ yr old dudes call it Volume 1.

Hardly going to grab the attention of the punters though.

Never Too Late Vol.2 should be out at the end of July and we have another 30 or so tracks that are ready to go and we are writing a couple of songs a week
Volume 2 - the End of the Trilogy.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Just do like the band Dog Eat Dog did. The band Warrant named their album Dog Eat Dog so Dog Eat Dog named their album Warrant. problem solved, win win.