Picking album title that's already used by anothe band...

RaistMagus

Tele-Holic
Hi guys, I'm looking for a name for our soon-to-be-released album (Spotify, Bandcamp), we're small amateur band. So I've thought of "with a bang" as album title, then I google it and I find that some other small random band has used it, and it exists on Spotify as well. What would you do in such a case? Is it uncool to use the same album name? On one hand, I'd like to come up with something unique. On the other hand, with the access to information we have in 2022 and with the amount of small and big bands that have existed in the past 70 years it's hard to find an original name.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Loads of bands have used the same album titles before. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

However, I think, if I was starting out, trying to get search results, I'd be tempted to call mine Queens Greatest Hits, Dark Side Of The Moon or Bat Out Of Hell... or a very close variation of something well known... Hat Out Of Bell, Dark Side Of The Noobs, {Band's name} Greatest Hits.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
If you are as optimistic as we bunch of 70+ yr old dudes call it Volume 1.

Hardly going to grab the attention of the punters though.

Never Too Late Vol.2 should be out at the end of July and we have another 30 or so tracks that are ready to go and we are writing a couple of songs a week

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
These guys were a Sabbath band at same time Sabbath was.

When in doubt, get out the Thesauraus

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
It really doesn’t matter if an album title is original or not. Even The Dark Side Of The Moon isn’t original - Pink Floyd originally called the live show which previewed the songs Eclipse because there was a 1972 album called Dark Side Of The Moon by Medicine Head, but decided it didn’t matter much and went back to their preferred title before the record was released.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
157215-the-replacements-let-it-be.jpg

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
So I've thought of "with a bang" as album title, then I google it and I find that some other small random band has used it, and it exists on Spotify as well. What would you do in such a case? Is it uncool to use the same album name?
Zak and the Krakens? Love the Surf clip :)
Yes, its uncool to use the same album name.
Have you already used "Zak and the Krakens"? which is a pretty good name already.
"The Kraken Wakes!" (the name of the classic sci-fi book) is also good :)
I think, because its a different genre, there's no copyright infringement.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
yeah just use it. nobody cares. song and record titles are fair game, whereas using a band name that already exists is just a headache.

i guess it would be different if it was a famous album title...but you can do that too if you’re being cheeky and making a statement, like sonic youth’s bad moon rising or something.