Pickguard Shielding ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Mezzamort, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Mezzamort

Mezzamort TDPRI Member

Pickguard Shielding ?
    Does it hurt to put copper shielding on a new pickguard I have an American Standard Telecaster with the white pguard so I ordered a new one and thought maybe to put shielding on it ? I know the pu has 2 grounds one for pu and one for pu cover so I don't want to ground it out if you can just thought while I have it new to take precautions I know putting copper tape in the hole got a lot of static so i took that out but with touching the pu screws i get static

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, man, punctuate occasionally!

Adding shielding to the back of the pickguard won't hurt anything. In order for it to not become a new source of noise you need to figure out some way to ground the new shield. Shielding on the back of the pickguard won't have any effect on static.

3. Mezzamort

Mezzamort TDPRI Member

Shielding actually stopped the static glad to say ! TY

4. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I use shielding tape on the back of the pickguard in conjunction with conductive paint in the cavities. It seems to help but others may say that it is overkill.

5. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

6. JTC111

JTC111 TDPRI Member

I've never used conductive paint but on my recent telecaster build I had the cavities and pickguard shielded with copper tape and my guitar is whisper quiet even if I'm sitting right next to the amp. I was very pleased with the result and I cant' imagine ever putting a guitar together again without opting for the shielding.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably the easiest, most economical (I've just used tin foil) and most effective noise killer a guy can do.

8. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I probably an overkilling it some, but my tele is super quiet. There's even rolled up tubes of shielding that is soldered at each end to electrically connect each all the cavities together. The pickguard shield covers over all of these cavities and comes into contact with them due to how the edges are folded over onto the body top. On guitars that only have a hole bored between the neck cavity and control cavity it is impossible to get that long a rolled up tube of copper in it so I always mill a slot using my dremel on the top of the body and line it with shielding. Here's a picture of one.[​IMG]
    http://s762.photobucket.com/user/ji...TELE/PA060132_zpskk1anyxa.jpg.html?sort=2&o=5

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.