pickguard questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by discogravy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

I'm looking to change my deluxe-style dual humbucker tele to a H-x-S tele (humbucker in the neck, single-coil in the bridge), like a tele custom.I can't use a standard tele pickguard cut for the 'bucker since I've still got the 3 way toggle up by the neck. I've looked at allparts and warmoth and neither makes this kind of pickguard, any suggestions?

What's the best way to deal with the pickguard? Simply cut up the one I've got for two humbuckers so that I can get a standard tele single-coil bridge in there?

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

How will you mount the single coil? In a "vintage" ash tray bridge? If so, won't a Tele Custom pickguard work?

If you google up places like Pickguardian or Terrapin Guitars, they will make you just about anything you want.

3. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Not to be a wet blanket, but... there may be more than just pick guard modification to be done to get it to work,

"deluxe style" - the string holes (if any, and especially if it's an import) will most likely be even closer together than the vintage bridge making mounting the bridge replacement tricky.

IF the guard is exactly like a tele deluxe, you can check the width of the hb route against the width of the bridge you want and might get away with having just the hb mounting screw holes showing. Opening the back of the pup route in the pick guard would be easy enough, but the opening would ideally be extended in (toward the neck) a little more than an eighth... keeping 1/4 radiused corners. Or, you could leave the front edge and gamble that the saddles will extend enough and open up the back side of the body route to accept the Tele bridge pup... it might need opening up in either case.

the hb route extends beyond the sides of the bridge so the gap between the guard and bridge will show the route.. you'll want the guard as tight as possible to the bridge. a regular custom pick guard would have a generous gap around the sides showing the hb pup route.

I'm thinking the least trouble would be to get a top loading modern bridge with extra long saddle screws and open up the back of the pick guard... and possibly chisel out the hb route a bit to make sure the tele bridge pup doesn't hang on the rear edge.

4. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

It's a string-through, but I was thinking of putting in an ashtray-style single-coil bridge that is a top-loader; right now the pickups are mounted on the pick guard, which is why i'm wanting to get that right (i'm not against body-mounting, but if it ain't broke...). Thanks for the suggestions -- I'm thinking that Casual Reader's last one might be the way to go...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.