Pickguard help

Vermoulian

Tele-Meister
I'm working with a friend on a parts Tele build and we've hit a problem with the pickguard. The guitar has TV Jones Filter'trons in it. Guitarfetish makes a Tele pickguard with a Gretsch-shaped cutout for the neck pickup, but when we put it on the (also Guitarfetish) body we're using, it doesn't fit, by which I mean, the lower horn on the pickguard goes off the lower horn on the body---it's just not shaped right. Meanwhile the body has rear-loaded controls and is designed not to use a metal control plate, i.e., the knobs and pickup switch come out of the body.

So we're looking at other pickguard options. Yes, I know we could have one of the usual suspects make us a pickguard in any shape we specify but I'm mainly looking for ideas for shapes or configurations at this point. I suggested a regular Cabronita guard but he didn't care for it. And, one of the big Deluxe style guards wouldn't work with the controls we have. So, what other pickguards do you have or have you seen on Teles?

I'll try to get some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about; when I do I'll edit the post.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Why don;t you just recontour the pickguard to fit? File it, sand it and use a a block w. sandppaer to restore the bevel. It's a 10 minute job.

Vermoulian

Tele-Meister
Why don;t you just recontour the pickguard to fit? File it, sand it and use a a block w. sandppaer to restore the bevel. It's a 10 minute job.
It would look weird. The pickguard on the horn would be shaped strangely, oddly thin in some spots. That was the first think I thought about but I don't think it would work. I think it would be best with a totally different guard design.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Sometimes you just have to deal with the hand you're dealt.

I put this walnut Cabronita style pickguard on a Thinline. The prior owner had cobbled together his take on a pickguard in tortoise that looked like he freehanded it with a Dremel and left it all wavy.

I picked up an oversized walnut Cabronita style pickguard on eBay (I think it was a bass pickguard) that had enough length from base to tip to just about cover the existing holes. I narrowed it along the straight edge, cutting off the pickup routes in order to allow the pickguard to be positioned to cover the holes he had drilled.

I first cut the pickguard leaving it wider with an even margin along the horn but then the top hole was exposed so I had to trim it narrower to position it towards the neck until it fully covered the top hole. This left just a touch of the hole at the very bottom peaking out under the edge which I filled and is unnoticable. It doesn't quite fit the outline of the horn as the spacing became uneven having to position it to cover the holes. It still looks fine and looks better than if I attempted to narrow the pickguard horn. I bought the guitar to "spiff and flip" anyway and the new owner was very happy with it as I also installed matching walnut headstock veneer for a classy look and I made a few bucks.

IMG_2756 (2).JPG

Last edited: