1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pickguard from a record

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Glen Smith, Feb 17, 2012.

1. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Some cool pickguards here. The old 78 Vogue picture discs would look cool, but when you saw the prices, I doubt if you would want cut to one up!

Attached Files:

2. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

those 78's would shatter in a heartbeat anyway, aren't they made of shellac? You could color copy the labels right from your computer and stick them on vinyl.. They are sweet, I'm getting a bit tired of standard pin up kitsch.

3. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Code:

That might work, or put them (copies) underneath a clear pickguard.
    I wouldn't cut up the Vogue 78's, too rare and expensive. For the regular LP's, I would think a small table/scroll saw would work pretty good for cutting the vinyl.

4. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Sweet. My band opened for those cats on the Bleach tour in early '90. Jason Everman I believe? I had never noticed this before. Those guys were borderline Metal back then. Negative Creep!!

5. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

What he said!!!

6. timewave

timewave Tele-Meister

Really cool idea!!!

7. ecoliguy

ecoliguy TDPRI Member

Great idea -- here's my first rough attempt for a new SC-2 (still debating whether to screw it down).

[​IMG]

8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

My biggest problem is finding a good record to put on there. I read this thread, thought it was a cool idea, and went to all the thrift shops in town looking for some cheap records to cut up. All I could find was Christmas music and old disco stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I want something cooler on my guitar. I did find a copy of Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings", and promptly broke it. So my project is stalled.

9. doof

doof Tele-Holic

I have the exact same problem. however i found a scratched up old Johnny Cash LP with the Sun label on ebay that i bought. in the meantime i bought some miscellaneous records from the salvation army to practice on. Just finished my first one and boy did it turn out poorly...:p

10. doof

doof Tele-Holic

If anyone is looking for another technique to cut the pickguard out, someone named amberella1964 on the instructables.com website wrote the following:

I have done some bizarre crafts with vinyl records. One suggestion I would offer is to
    a) get a rotary blade (or an exacto knife)
    b) draw the shape you want on the record with a crayon. I would suggest both sides of the record so it won't matter which side ends up 'up'
    c) Then place it on a pizza pan, put it in the oven for about 30 seconds at 325 Celcius. If you have an edge of the record resting on the edge of the pan you can tell how soft it is by when it molds itself to the ridge.
    d) When you take it out, flip it onto a counter top or large cuttng board. Have a rotary blade handy and just run it along your drawn line, or just to the inside of it.
    If it has warped at all grab another old record and press it on top with a book for weight
    Should work ok.

here's the link to the forum: http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-can-I-cut-vinyl-records-for-a-pickguard/

11. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

that looks GOOD!
    I would screw it down in a heart beat

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Dude, that would be perfect! I was also looking for George Jones or an old BB King record. The weirdest one I found was by a guy called Herbie Mann. The picture on the sleeve showed him shirtless and hairy, holding a flute with a look on his face that said that flute had been through some unpleasant stuff.
    I don't normally do ebay, might have to take a jaunt over there since I can't sleep.

13. ecoliguy

ecoliguy TDPRI Member

Thanks! I have a few other ideas and this one's too screwed up around the pickup for me, but the next one should be a winner. Hopefully I've got another RCA record lying around that I don't listen to, because I like the Nipper logo.

Technique wise, I used a Dremel heavy-duty-cut-off wheel which worked quite well (probably because it's made of some sort of ceramic compound so the wheel doesn't heat up quickly) and finished it w/ 200-grit sandpaper to get the ~45 degree edge and buffed the whole thing with 00 steel wool afterwards. A heavier grit would've been better to start with; a file would've probably been ideal. Here are some other ideas for that guitar... I was aiming for the top-left:
    [​IMG]
    I've also got a couple red records and a blue record that I could try.

14. ecoliguy

ecoliguy TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    Second try, and done for now, I think. All with a Dremel. The Arista label's almost identical to Lake Placid blue (err Himalayan Blue per G&L). I have no idea how I came to possess the theme to The Young and the Restless.

15. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Nice and functional.

16. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Yup Jason. They were quite metal/stoner back at that time. How did they sound live? How was the show?

17. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

That looks great!

18. 59Sound

59Sound TDPRI Member

Great idea, but that white Nirvana album is worth sum money.

19. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

I am having a serious problem with this:confused:

cheap disco albums to practice on (who doesn't like cutting up disco albums:rolleyes:)
    and I will keep on the lookout for cool albums that are to scratched up to ever play, for the final product :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.