Pickgaurd Noise?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ajeffcote, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ajeffcote

ajeffcote NEW MEMBER!

First of all I would like to say hi to all of you. I am new to this forum, although I have peeked in now and then. I started messing around changing pickups and doing my own setups about 3 years ago and have progressed to finishing and assembling my own guitars. Haven't got to the point of actually building my own, but as I accumulate the tools it will only be a matter of time.
    While playing my partscaster (butterscotch blackgaurd) static electricity seems to build up on the pickgaurd. When I brush my finger(s) across it snap, crackle and pop is heard through my amp. The pickup and control cavities are not shielded and the back of the pickgaurd has only a little foil. Bridgeplate is grounded and the neck pickup cover is grounded.
    How do I fix this? Thanks

2. dutchgoff

dutchgoff Tele-Holic

Try wiping your pickguard with a fabric softener sheet. I know it sounds strange but do it and see what happens. Let us know. Welcome. Hope you enjoy the site.

3. ajeffcote

ajeffcote NEW MEMBER!

Thanks. I have tried that and it works temporarily. Was wondering if there is a more permanent fix.

4. dutchgoff

dutchgoff Tele-Holic

How's the humidity there? I would go back and check all my grounds. Try a search on this site I'm sure this has been discussed before and by a lot more knowledgeable folks then me. Good luck.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Try a leather pickguard... no static...

6. Stoked

Stoked Tele-Meister

Maybe mounting the fabric softener sheet under the pickguard?

7. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

The back side of the pickguard should be grounded. Usually, there some aluminium or copper tape behind the guard that is linked to a ground/shield on the guitar.

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 , I usually use reynolds finest (aluminum foil :lol:) on the underside of the guard (the whole guard in my case, at the very least the controls area) held on with Elmers Spay tack, available from the hobby aisle at Walmart. It grounds through the pots and I've never had static issues. Wouldn't take an hour to refit your guard ;),

Dave

9. LeeMo

LeeMo TDPRI Member

I've experienced this also. My thoughts are that the plastic pickguard is a dielectric and that the foil is a conductor , which makes it a capacitor. When you move your hand over the surface, the capacitance changes , thereby giving you "scratchies".:idea: A tunable antenna , sort of .
    If you get a good ground on the foil it should go away.

LeeMo

10. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

The best permanent fix is to make sure the underside of the pickguard is part of the guitar's common ground. Use adhesive backed copper shielding available from Stewmac and some guitar shops. Here's how I avoid this problem:

1: Paint all cavities with shielding paint. (You can also use adhesive backed copper shielding for this.)

2. Make sure the common ground, ie, the connection between pickup ground leads, bridge ground, and pot backs, has a good electrical connection to the painted shielding and all cavities are connected. I use a solder lug screwed into the bridge pickup cavity as a common connection point.

3. Apply adhesive backed shielding to the underside of the pickguard and make certain the shielding makes connection with the common ground. I accomplish this by running a couple of strips of thin shielding tape from inside the neck pickup cavity over the edge over the edge so that about an inch of tape extends over the top under the pickguard. I try to position the tape near a screw hole so the connection between the shielding tape strip and the pickguard shielding is tight.

Since the painted pickguard cavity has been electrically connected to the common ground, the pickguard is now grounded and the snap, crackle and pop caused by static electricity is gone.

Dryer sheets also work, but it's temporary, especially in low humidity. Of course there is the added benefit that your guitar always smells springtime fresh.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  11. GordonTeles

GordonTeles Tele-Meister

One solution I found to this and its the easiest is to get like light sand paper and sand the back of your pickguard

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.