1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Picked up on an educated guess, advice? 67 Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Robmac, Feb 18, 2021.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Here's my issue with this idea...

The guitar with a little bit of work is a '67 Tele with a killer neck pickup and a flatter radius, unquestionably two of the most popular tele mods. A perfect Frankenstein player.

However, with no work to it, individually the parts have lost a lot of value. The dots, tuner re-drill, and veneer removal/flattening of the neck are a huge hit to the neck value. The body, well, speaks for itself. The neck pickup unfortunately lost it's decal which to many folks who buy them to make guitars original make it not an option so even as a pickup it's in the player grade arena where a guy like me would buy it (still worth good $$). Bridge and small parts from this era aren't crazy expensive or rare either. Lots of parts likes the pots/knobs were used on other stuff too.

IMO, again a little bit of work and a few parts could make this guitar worth more than the sum of it's parts as they are now. I'd get bushing adapters to fit the proper F tuners, drill out the dots for black ones, fix the body with the template like @Robmac showed earlier plus get a proper parch guard. Then, I'd go to Tom Bartlett's website and buy Royalite binding of the proper width, I'd route the ends and bind the guitar like a Tele Custom and paint it a solid color....customs are more attractive to buyers. And, if one couldn't do it themselves there's lots of talented people on TDPRI who I'm sure could help out.

Boom...'67 Tele Custom in a badass color (I'd go black) with a flatter fretboard and the best neck humbucker on the planet.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. deytookerjaabs

Here's Brent's super heavily modified '67 Tele in action:

Check out the Kahler whammy bar!

So much potential here.

Robmac likes this.
  3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

If you are seriously considering putting that body back to the original shape (again why?) then I would perhaps seek help of someone that operates a numerical router. You have these small prototyping companies that own a CNC router. Talk to the guy who does the programming. They sometimes do some extra work in the evenings. You only need two perfectly fitting pieces of wood that you can glue on to the sides. The planing and cutting of the new body shape you can do yourself by hand. You only need the perfect (curved) glue seams.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Robmac likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Really, a good portion of the bodies width is still there. A couple bandsaw cuts and the surfaces jointed would mate up to new wood. You get the template, and cut around it, sand to the line and then do the roundover. You can see this kind of stuff in the Home Depot Forum on a regular basis.

Robmac likes this.
  5. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I'd probably leave well-enough alone. If it plays and everything works correctly I would just give it a name and have some fun with it. Make people guess if it's real or not, then prove them wrong.

Robmac and Antoon like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Holic

Right on! IF I had your guitar, I would repair the original body. I'd replace the dots on the neck too, and whatever else to bring it back to original spec. Other than that, I would totally put that thing back together, PAF and all, and rock on with it! A 67-68 TC with a late 50's/early 60's PAF in it??? Oh man... now that's the chit! Don't know how handy you are at doing the work but even if you send it out to have the work done, you're still going to be ahead IMO and end up with a heck of a guitar when done, and a heck of a story to go with it ;)

Robmac likes this.
  7. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

I think I would prob be more oldschool about it.
    Router template/guide, and route it back to shape.

Telekarster likes this.
  8. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

Think I have called it ugly duck more than once, lol, perhaps uugely duck too. :)

9. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

I can't say the neck radius has been flattened, perhaps a little. It appears to be close to orig radius. Perhaps I should check with radius blocks??
    The replacement dots vary between flush and slightly raised in relation to the fret board.
    Perhaps not sanded a whole lot.(?)
    Deytookerjaabs, sounds like you gots it all mapped out! :cool:

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  10. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

This is one of my internal debates. Mess further with body to restore it vs leave as is, either as part of the guitar or hanging on wall vs parts to another body and/or to someone who wants/needs them.
    That's the conundrum!

If I did attempt to restore the body, would prob make a jig so it could be passed through a high speed jet saw (table saw), then planed to accept new "wings" cleanly. Then reshape w template n router.

11. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I agree. If you want to keep the modded body for nostalgia purposes, do so. A nice new aftermarket Tele body can be aged/reliced to, at least, "match" the neck/hardware, etc... Cool find for 30 bucks.

telemnemonics and Robmac like this.
  12. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

Thanks knopflerfan. I think I was quite lucky!
    Ironic a replacement body would cost more!!
    Def a budget here I am not rich, lol and have bills. (See post just above yours for conundrum)
    I do have two slabs laminated from 130 year old pine 2x4, only prob, they are under 1 3/4", at 1 5/8" -1 11/16", this prior to any kind of work, etc. Thought to eventually use them for guit bodies or tables or a gift to friends for those reasons. (Might have access to more, thicker 100 year old pine too)

Telekarster likes this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Holic

E
    Exactly. You can restore the original body back to its original dimensions for far less than what a good body would cost you. Plus the body you have fits everything you have already, so that takes the guesswork out of possible jackin' about with getting a new body to fit all the parts correctly etc. saving you possible headaches. You can get ash cheap enough and I would strongly encourage you to use ash, as any other species would not be correct for 1... and 2, pine etc. may react differently than the existing ash in terms of expansion/contraction, and you may end up with cracks in the seams/glue joints etc. over time. If you do it right, you can repair that body and it will be as though the mod never happened. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress! I for one would really LOVE to see you put her back right, and play the snot out of her! :)

El Famoso and Robmac like this.
  14. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I posted this earlier but this is a repaired double cutaway that I did 25 years ago with a CNC router. You cannot get this accuracy with a table router.

[​IMG]

15. deytookerjaabs

Just going off the photos (which can play tricks!)

[​IMG]

Looks like I see the veneer layer thicker on the end than the middle?

[​IMG]

Versus here you can see the full thickness of an original veneer layer above the nut. A big problem with Rosewood boards in this era is techs of yore sanding them down to almost nothing when doing fretwork

Robmac likes this.
  16. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd consider having the body restored by a reputable luthier. That way, the value of the end product would probably be better than if you just say "I did it myself". Higher cost, too, I guess, but still that makes sense to me.

2HBStrat, Robmac and Roscoe295 like this.
  17. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

Excellent comparison pictures, tyvm!
    I am going to check the radius.

18. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

Deytookerjaabs, you're right! Just checked the radius on the neck (it was sanded and refretted a long time ago, looks like, for reference.)
    The neck has a 12" radius now. Explains why it was sanded, presumably during refret.
    Now wondering what the radius of a 67 neck is?

19. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

Yet another conundrum thing.
    Not sure it would matter, with three refinishes and the zoiks shape change. (?)
    I have the tools, access to a friend's workshop, and the skills.

20. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

For comparison of the body, side by side with a parts telecaster I built/finished. IMG_20210222_073913019.jpg IMG_20210222_073928410.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.