Picked up a Blackface Champ - AA764

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by r_o_b_s_o_n, Jul 28, 2019.

1. r_o_b_s_o_n

r_o_b_s_o_n TDPRI Member

So... I used to have an all original '64 Champ which I regrettably sold back in about 2001... I've always wished I held on to that one... there has been a second hand BF champ on my local classifieds for some time (over a year?)... The seller just recently reduced the price, and I managed to get it for even less... I ended up paying $800 Canadian. To be honest - considering what I found, I probably paid a bit too much... but considering that I was thinking about building a BF champ and probably couldn't build one for that, I'm happy.

The seller disclosed that it has been recovered with new tolex, and capacitors replaced.

Today I opened it up and took some photos, and I noticed a couple other things:
    1) Tolex recovering mediocre - the tolex is lifting at the overlaps
    2) It appears that rear baffles are repro's - as well, the mounting screws are not original
    3) Death cap still present
    4) Fuse wrapped in tinfoil
    5) Tubes are modern (JJ 6V6 / TungSol 12AX7 - 5Y3 looks to be older Phillips)

Here are some additional photos showing the guts.

Anyone care to offer insight on to what I may want to consider to bring this little Champ up to speed?

DSC_1722.jpg DSC_1723.jpg DSC_1724.jpg DSC_1727.jpg DSC_1728.jpg DSC_1729.jpg DSC_1730.jpg DSC_1731.jpg DSC_1732.jpg DSC_1733.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    GoKart Mozart and Random1643 like this.
  2. r_o_b_s_o_n

r_o_b_s_o_n TDPRI Member

DSC_1735.jpg DSC_1736.jpg DSC_1737.jpg DSC_1738.jpg DSC_1739.jpg DSC_1740.jpg DSC_1744.jpg

Random1643 likes this.
  3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

What value caps did they use in that filter bundle? Since it's already been changed, if they are anything marginal value or quality, I'd probably change them. The filter section can really make a huge difference on those smaller amps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Intubator likes this.
  4. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Looks Like Illinois filters.... I'd probably go with F&T or Sprague. Looks pretty clean in there though. Nice amp! Congratulations!

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Nice amp. Congrats!

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Looks good to me. The death cap is still there but just pushed to the side and not connected to anything. The fuse would be a concern, but if you've already fired it up the necessary work has already been done. Put a correct fuse in and rock it out.

r_o_b_s_o_n likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.