Pick up suggestions for CV 50s please

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Benjobobs, May 16, 2021.

1. Benjobobs

Benjobobs TDPRI Member

Hi good people of TDPRI,

I’m playing a CV50s in BSB/maple board. I’ve upgraded w/ Gotoh brass saddles.

I’m looking for some suggestions for a good all round set of single coil pick ups to potentially replace what I have in there.

I want to play both Heartbreakers/Mike Campbell rock n roll but also I’m learning some jazz too.

I play straight into a fender Princeton clone.

Budget up to around £100 - must be available in UK.

Happy to buy individually or pair.

any suggestions on best all round alnico 2/3/5 etc. Also appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The alnico pickups in these are fine and dandy all around pickups. IMG_20210426_170755.jpg I'd just optimise adjustment. Anything you buy is going to be some variation on them.

TeleUpNorth and Treynor like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Just because you have 'a Squier' doesn't mean you need to rush out and get new pickups.
    What 'tone problem' are you trying to fix? Too bright? Too dark and muddy/muffled?

Here's the mod list, in order:
    -Adjust pickup heights, tip (bass/treble), and screw poles (if you have pickups like humbuckers)
    -Measure and swap Pots 'n Caps.
    -Last is swap pickups and go back to the top of the list.

Most guitars can be fixed for free or certainly under ten or twenty dollars. Sure, it's not as sexy to tell your friends you swapped out a tone cap for a nickel to fix your guitar but often that is all it takes. Pickups and the pots 'n caps are a system where you can push around the tone with changing any of those parts. Fix it with a nickel before it costs a 'pound.

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Tonerider deluxe I hear are pretty good. Personally though I like the PV64s. Bought mine at Gear4Music for about £115. Check stock first though.

5. Benjobobs

Benjobobs TDPRI Member

Sorry I should have said I’ve got full size CTS pots as well.

I’ve got Alnico Vs in (not stock) & they are quite bright & trebly but a bit to boomy on the maple board on the lower strings. I’m looking for something a bit mellower - creamier.

I’ve lowered neck pick up (didn’t really make a difference).

ta

6. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Alegree pickups, made in UK. Less than 50 pounds a set.
    Bare Knuckle pickups, also made in UK. Bit more expensive.

7. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

I think the stock ones are great. I’d spend some time with them first.

yegbert, bgmacaw and nojazzhere like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes. Nothing wrong with the stock pickups- and lots is right with them

Where did you get the idea that you should change them?

Ahhh ok, just saw your post- they are not stock

well, maybe see if you can get some stock CV50 pickups, then:). Those sound great

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you can't tame the pups by lowering them, measure the actual values of your pots. Then consider dropping the value, at least on the V pot. I would also remove any treble bleeds or other funky wiring.

10. Benjobobs

Benjobobs TDPRI Member

I have standard vintage 3 way wiring. I didn’t want to mention pickups brand/model but they are Tonerider Vintage Plus. Was gifted them from a buddy so upgraded the stock. I wondered if I’d have more luck with Alnico 3 or 2 as opposed to 5’s?

11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

When the stock bridge pickup in mine died, I replaced it with an Artec. I think it was less than $20. Sounds great - good replacement for the original. You could try a couple of different configurations for that kind of money. Lots of different pickup brands out there are just rebranded Artecs, so it's worth looking into it a bit when purchasing.

VintageSG likes this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Toneriders are made by one of the Asian mobs who make pickups for amongst others - Squiers. Vintage plus I think are wound a little extra.

Before you go changing, you really need to know what you're changing to and why.

Just saying 'go to A2 or A3' in itself means nothing. They are weaker permanent magnets than A5. You will probably get less, and possibly less distinct, output. I have A4 magnet on one Gretsch Filterton in the neck and one A2 in the bridge pickup. The change is subtle. I'm considering going to A5 on both.

Wind/gauge, gauss (how much the magnet is magnetised) and the composition of the rod all make a difference. A5 is the primary Strat pickup magnet.

There's a formula for Strats - A5, staggered poles and between 5 and 6kohm of winds with a bit more on the bridge - that gives clear sweet tone, a nice overdrive and good in between cluck. Anything much more and you lose Strattiness IMO. Anything less and you get more anaemic tones like many MIJ/CIJ models.

Boreas likes this.
  13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I had the same CV and what i have found generally work great in any maple board tele with vintage bridge is a fender 62 custom bridge pickup and in the neck a dimarzio twang king. Just a great sounding set for 50s style teles and has worked great in every one i have had that set in including my BSB CV 50s. And IMO they improved the guitar over the stock ones which are ok but certainly can be improved upon a lot IMO. If it's the newer indonesian one tho, then i can't comment on the pickups since mine was the older china model. But the set i recommended is very very unlikely to not be a considerable improvement from my experience with imports. As for jazz, just use the tone control. If theres a pickup set thats going to be equally good for petty and jazz i;d be surprised. Jazz players just use the tone to cut highs, but your job there is going to be finding the perfect cap value, and i can't help u with that other then to say i *think* u want a large value because it will act like a shelf way down the frequency range and with a slight turn will darken it up without creating a hard knee at some point in the mids or treble. Should IMO be more natural sounding.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My CV50 is the Vintage Blonde model, made in China. I'm not sure which Alnico number pickups were fitted to that model. I bought it with the intention of turning it into an Esquire. I'll never turn it into an Esquire. Whatever magic faerie dust was sprinkled in the factory the day those pickups were wound did its job, did four hours overtime, then cleaned the factory floor before leaving. They're superb. The bridge pickup is all a telecaster bridge pickup should be, but the neck pickup... Mmmm...
    It's so good, I'd have to break out the audiophile superlatives.
    I'd rather not do that.
    The original heights and slope needed tweaking a little, but that's it. The range that guitar offers tonally is everything I want. Stock pots, stock cap, stock pickups, just half an hour with a clean, revealing amp and a screwdriver to tweak with. I'm using the stock saddles too.

I've had great success with Artec pickups on other guitars. Have a look at the Evil Sheep pickups. There are a few demos on Youtube. He uses a WF-55 to demo them, so what you hear is as good as you'll get, amp wise.

15. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have had a lot of different sets in mine. This guitar has gone through a lot of changes over the years since I rescued it from the floor of the local GC. I keep coming back to Fender CS Texas Specials. The guitar has a Toneshaper in it with a 4 way switch. Love this guitar, it is my primary practice guitar and the one I pick up the most. I am in the process of replacing the neck with a Fender Roasted Maple. I still need to restring it and adjust the nut.

92F01125-34CA-4294-BCCB-1CECB734D515.jpeg D6F39AF5-501D-4391-8793-BD6253E2002E.jpeg

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The stock pickups in your guitar (which are made by the same company that makes TONERIDERS btw) are great.

17. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

The Duncan lil 59/ classic stack set in my Affinity sound killer and are very versatile.

18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Hate to pile on.. But the stock pickups are awesome.

Fendereedo and CajunJ like this.
  19. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! Is that plate from the Space Shuttle?

20. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Keep in mind the computers on the shuttle are from the 80s so this is way more advanced than that...lol ;)

It is a first generation Toneshaper from about 10 years ago. The circuit boards are a bit smaller now.

011.JPG

All of the dipswitches allow you to control just about every aspect of the electronics without having to rewire.

Here is a current one from one of my newer partscasters. This one is for a dual humbucker Tele and has a 5 way superswitch in it.
    • Solder-free installation! Installs in minutes!
    • Supports Volume/Tone (VT), Volume/Tone/Tone (VTT), and Volume/Tone/Blender (VTB) control configurations
    • Configurable blender wiring allows you to combine pickups in unusual ways, increasing tonal flexibility!
    • VTT configuration enables assignable tone controls - assign them to the pickups in the way you find the most useful
    • Configurable tone controls (whether one or two) - independently customize each tone control to EQ your tone just the way you want!
    • Built-in, bypass-able treble bleed, compensates for treble roll-off when lowering your volume control, keeping your tone more consistent
    • Manually-selectable volume/tone pot values (all pickup configurations), choose between 500k or 250k to tonally optimize for your pickups/application
    • Or, configure for auto-ranging volume pot (HSS, HSH only), automatically adjusts the volume pot value for optimal tone when switching between single-coils and humbuckers
    20200712_173055415_iOS.jpg 20200712_173105664_iOS.jpg

ToneShaper PCB Products (toneshapers.com)

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.