pick nitpickery

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mexicanyella, May 5, 2016.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender Heavy. Tortoise colored. The other colors don't sound as good...

I can't prove that, but I said it on the Internet. So it must be true!

I use them for electric, acoustic, shims for necks, windows, and furniture. In a pinch, they make a dandy fire starter. No really, they do. Light one. But do it where you can drop it quickly and not set the house on fire.

soulman969 likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, now you're talkin'!

3. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

For electrics, good old fender mediums for me - solid white if available. Something about the solid white ones seems a little less "clicky". Tried the tortex, ultex, etc, and the celluloid seems to just sound better to me.

For acousic, I like .73 nylons picks. There's a brand called Cool that is my favorite, but the Brain picks are nearly identical. They have a raised/dimpled thing going on that really helps to hold on, and they make acoustics sound more alive/present that some of the larger/thicker picks a lot of folks seem to favor.

4. TickleMyTele

TickleMyTele Tele-Meister

This is why I buy Star picks :p
    I use the white-medium ones, I can only find them on eBay.
    However, I'm in the midst of an affair with a $10 Indian Rosewood pick I bought online.
    It's a smaller size, thick (of course) and really gives a unique twist to my tone.
    It's about the size of a Jazz pick, in comparison to "regular" picks.

http://www.samash.com/everly-star-picks-12-pack-purple-1-14-e300269pr?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Bass Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Everly+Star+Picks,+12+Pack+Purple,+1.14&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594742552&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=28120526597&CATCI=pla-59767812753&catargetid=500002510000064975&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjw8da8BRDssvyH8uPEgnoSJABJmwYow4IfugJS1JwwoAk_expe1Xlyb8zF1_HL5S5yIp1FnxoCDQ7w_wcB

Blue Bill likes this.
  5. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

I've tried a bunch, but I feel most at home with Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm gauge. I recently discovered that they also carry a "sharp" variety (with a more pointy end) at my local music store, so I'll try those out when I go and buy new strings.

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Heavy Tortex or Celluloid, depending on the kind of attack I'm wanting. Tortex lasts forever and Tortoishell sometimes only one set- but the feel of the shiny, hard material on heavy strings and the brittle attack is often just what I want, for Rockabilly, Junior Barnard-style Swing and early electric blues.
    Finally getting somewhere with Dunlop metal fingerpicks, after years of scratched guitars, dropped picks and sore fingers. Perseverance!
    I also like Herco big thumbpicks, for sweaty gigs. Very comfy but not very durable. In Tortex, they'd be perfect.

7. NM Craig

NM Craig TDPRI Member

Dunlap jazz III

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Stubby 3.0mm

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Dunlop 351 style on the left is for reference only.

My "go to" pick is the red thin (.50) celluloid to the right of it. That's my custom shape, which I get by trimming 351s with scissors and sandpaper. The Dunlop Delrin .46 is good, too. The Clayton Ultem .56 is the brightest material I've found, but I wish they made them a bit thinner. Not enough snap.

I recently stumbled on the Fender 451 celluloid thins (shown tortoise-colored). I still prefer my custom shape, but they're very similar, and the 451s sound better than any pick I've tried.

The two Fred Kelly flatpicks are Delrin and Nylon. He makes a Poly, too, but they sound dull to me. I use these occasionally for bluegrass, where my attack is hard enough to make holding the pick a challenge. With the shoulder and the grippy texture, these don't budge!

Fred makes a PeeWee, same shoulder and grip, but in a small teardrop shape. But sadly only in heavy gauge.

The Herco thin is my favorite thumbpick, but because the wrap is made out of the same thin material, they don't stay on very well at all. I fix that by putting a 1/4" piece of double-stick tape on the inside of the wrap, right under the "HE" in the logo. Slip it on, and press-twist in the direction of picking pressure, and it rarely moves. I'm learning to use this as a flatpick, too. One that never falls off, and that leaves my index free.

The Fred Kelly Bumblebee (thin of course) is my second favorite thumbpick. He solves the problem of the flimsy wrap. It's almost too stiff. Hurts a bit. I guess it can be shaped with warm water, and trimmed, but I've not tried. Like the Herco, it has a flatpick feel on the attack.

Given my preference for thin picks, the metal thumbpick seems like an odd choice. I love it. The only reason I don't use it is that it's only meant for forward picking. I alternate-pick with my thumb, and the edge catches the strings. It's great for a raunchy, 'messy' style and tone.

IMG_2957.JPG

10. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Picks are the kinda the first level EQ. I keep a couple of each from thin to heavy, Ernie ball or fender but i prefer the latter. Thin ones for acoustic strumming and medium to heavy for electrics.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm kinda particular about picks for tonal reasons. The white Clayton acetal standards or Dunlop Tortex seem to work best for me on my electrics and the Clayton triangle Ultems are what I use on Taylor acoustic. Thickness can affect tonality as well so I use a few different gauges.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.